Wednesday 31 August 2011

Upper body: Heavy weight

Two consecutive heavy weight days, but today is all upper body (yesterday was mostly legs). Also, another early morning workout; this time, I felt quite tired so I stuck to just heavy lifting and pulling, without a metcon.

Hang power cleans @ 120
(Warm up: 5 reps @ 95)
4, 4, 4, 4, 3 = 19

Bollocks! I was so close to completing 20 reps for the first time. In the last set I attempted a fourth rep and got halfway up before my arms gave out on me. 19 and a half reps - so close (hence the barely suppressed "FUCK!" when I failed.)

======

Bench press 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 (small bench, squat rack)
(Warm up: 5 reps @ 115)
135, 140, 145 (2), 145 (2), 145 (1)

The other squat rack, with safeties, was being used, so I had to make do with using the rack in the corner.

======

Push press 3, 3, 3, 3, 3
95, 100, 105, 110, 115, 120 (1)

These were straightforward push presses, not keeping the bar overhead for 3 seconds. I completed all the reps in the planned fifth set, so I added on an extra set with 5lb more. Checking back, my PR is 2 reps at 120, but for some reason I started with a low weight today and didn't do as well as that.

======

Cable row 5, 5, 5, 5, 5
130, 140, 150, 155, 160, 165 (2)

Again, I completed all the planned reps and sets, so I attempted one more with extra weight. 165 is a new PR.

4 comments:

Paul French said...

umm, hang power clean....:)

When doing the cable rows did the machine feel like it was sticking at any point, I thought it was the last time I did that exercise when I got over 150.

Paul French said...

Also I'm curious why did you decide to do the push presses without the held lockout?

Common Sense Design said...

Hang POWER cleans - I keep bloody forgetting!

No idea why I didn't do a held lock out. It wasn't until I wasn't posting my blog and checked back for my PR that I noticed/remembered. Yesterday was another early - for me - workout and my brain was still asleep.

Common Sense Design said...

Sorry, forgot about your cable row question - no, it felt fine to me. All reps were pretty smooth.

Post a Comment