Tuesday 30 August 2011

Full body: Heavy weight

Yesterday's dinner: Baked squash stuffed with lean minced beef, bell pepper, onion, tomatoes and black olives, all cooked in olive oil and mixed with a touch of red wine vinegar.
"CrossFit Total"

Back squat - 1 rep max:
135 (8), 165 (5), 185 (1), 205 (1), 215 (1), 220 (1), 225 (1), 230 (F)

Shoulder press - 1 rep max:
65 (5), 75 (3), 85 (1), 90 (1), 95 (F)

Deadlift - 1 rep max:
135 (10), 165 (6), 185 (5), 205 (3), 215 (1), 225 (1), 235 (1), 245 (1), 255 (1), 265 (1), 275 (1), 280 (F)

Total: 225 + 90 + 275 = 590

I had an early start today because I had to take Madi for a doctor's appointment. This routine was yesterday's main site WOD and is one of those where I knew I could do it, even if my score wouldn't compare with any hard-core CrossFitters. 

At 230 with the back squats, I only managed to get about halfway before I could feel my legs starting to go, so I straightened up and racked the bar. I had safeties set at 8 holes just in case I failed and dropped the barbell, but it never got to that. All completed reps were to parallel, just about touching the safeties. Not a great 1 rep max; 225 is only 20lb more than when I do a standard 5 set, 3 rep routine. Still, that's the heaviest I've squatted to parallel. I knew the shoulder press would be my lowest score, but I thought I'd do better with a 1 rep max. I'm pretty pleased with the deadlifts as I finally set a new PR of 275 - it's been a long time coming. At 280, the bar didn't move a single millimetre off the ground!

I'm guessing the squats that people on the CrossFit site did were full ROM, not parallel, but other than that my scores are respectable, but not spectacular. One thing this makes clear: I need to work on my shoulder presses.

5 comments:

Paul French said...

Nice job, but other people who do this workout usually don't do full ROM on the squats, they usually just break parallel....at least the videos I have seen.

Common Sense Design said...

Thanks. My legs felt a bit tight this morning, so perhaps if I'd warmed up better I might have been able to do a few more pounds.

Can you advise anything for improving my shoulder presses?

Common Sense Design said...

Interesting comment in people's posted results on the CrossFit site (#67): "you are supposed to make 3 attempts to reach your highest number. they say you should know (roughly) your 1RM so you can focus on getting as close to that as possible."

Paul French said...

I know the actual version of this you are only allowed 3 attempts, but that's after a warmup so technically it would probably include many sets anyways.

My overhead work has usually been a strong point of mine and all I can attribute that too is I tend to press over heard as much as I do horizontal. Probably explains why my bench sucks in comparison, so just keep the frequency of all overhead work (military press, shoulder press, push press) high.

Dwigh Marquez said...

WTF! This rule is a safe solution. You don't see several of those Vidhigra Male Enhancement around anymore. I'm sympathetic to this primary viewpoint.

Post a Comment