Thursday 25 August 2011

Full body: Heavy weight

I started today feeling a bit like I didn't have optimum energy; not fatigue or exhaustion, just one of those days when I feel a bit weak. For the second half of yesterday, for one reason or another I don't think I had as much nutrition as I wanted/needed, so I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

Alternate sets:

Bench press: Max reps @ 125 (small bench, 6 holes)
6, 5, 4, 3, 4

Weighted pull-ups: Max reps @ 30
6, 6, 5, 5, 4

For the bench presses I set the safeties at 6 holes so the bar was only about an inch from my chest. I tried to set them at 5 holes and it was just touching my chest, but I can't slide my big head under the barbell!

======

Partial squats 3, 3, 3, 3, 3
210, 235, 255, 275, 290, 295 (F)

I PRed all 3 reps at 290 so I thought I'd give 295 a try; I didn't even manage half a rep! As I just started to squat, I could feel my legs start to buckle, so I stood upright and racked the bar. Still, I'm getting tantalizingly close to 300lb.


======

Grace: 30 x power clean and press @ 100 (from the ground)
Time = 7:00

That's a pretty significant improvement. I knocked 1:04 off my PR. It was such a big drop that I was convinced I'd done the move incorrectly (e.g. I should have done a power squat clean, not just a power clean). But no, this was all done the right way! I even think my push press form was better than before, with my arms locking out on every rep.

======

Leg extensions: Max reps @ 125
11, 12, 11

I spent the day with Madi today, taking her to see Spy Kids 4 at the new Empire at The Boardwalk in Waterloo. We were running late and didn't have time to eat a decent meal beforehand so all we could get were hot dogs, pop corn and Diet Coke. So much for a starch-free diet!

3 comments:

Paul French said...

Nice job on grace, been a while since I have done that one (last time was with bumper plates).

With squat cleans it would add a great deal of time to it so no doubt you did it the right way. Also a power squat clean does not exist...power simply means bar in caught in half squat, squat means..well you can probably guess.

Common Sense Design said...

This is only the second time I've done Grace with 100lb. Next time I'll add more weight, either another 5 or 10lb, depending on how I feel.

Common Sense Design said...

By the way, what weight do you use for Grace?

Post a Comment