Tuesday 16 August 2011

Full body: Moderate/light weight



Alternate sets; 1 min rest between each

Thrusters: 4 x max reps @ 95
5, 6, 5, 6

Dumbbell rows: 4 x max reps @ 75 (per arm)
6, 6, 6, 6

======

Every minute on the minute:
5 hang power cleans @ 95
10 CrossFit push-ups
Score = 10 rounds

I can't remember where I got this from, but I know I didn't make it up. I'm pretty sure I came across something similar a while back and made a note of it, but I subbed the hang cleans for something else (probably snatches or overhead squats). Still, this was challenging and a lot of fun. 

The first 4 rounds took me between 24 and 26 seconds each, and they were all unbroken. I sat down between rounds to rest, gripping the bar in preparation from around the 55 second mark. From that point onwards, I slowed down dramatically. I think rounds 5 to 7 took between 40 and 45 seconds, so I wasn't left with much time to rest. I had enough time to put a check mark on my notebook to indicate which round I'd just completed, but not to sit down and rest. Rounds 8 through 10 didn't even leave me enough time to check my notebook - I simply got up from the push-ups and then gripped the barbell, ready to go again. At the end of round 10 I checked my watch and it said 10 minutes 1 second, so that was the point where I stopped. The cleans were all unbroken and pretty quick, but I slowed down and had to break up the push-ups from round 5 onwards.

======

3 rft:
10 kipping pull-ups
10 front squats @ 85 (racked)
10 burpees

Time = 9:33

Left plenty of sweat on the ground with this one! However, I think I went too light on the front squats; I probably should have gone up to at least 95. I managed to rest the bar comfortably on my shoulders, but my elbows probably should have gone up higher. I broke the squats up into 4s, 5s, or 6s. More weight would have been a better challenge.

I felt pretty good at the end of this workout - tired, but not drained. Hopefully, that means I'm back to full strength and not exhausted anymore.

6 comments:

Paul French said...

That second workout does look familiar, I think a while back I did something like that but it wasn't hand release pushups and it wasn't every minute on the minute style.

Also don't forget to specify what type of clean you do, whether it's hang power clean or hang squat clean.....usually when it doesn't state either people automatically assume it's a squat clean.

Common Sense Design said...

I think I remember where I got the second workout from: it was part of a video shot in Rich Froning's university gym. But, as I mentioned, they did something else instead of the hang clean.

When I refer to hang cleans, I mean this: http://youtu.be/CPlpWV5J9SI?t=2m10s. What I call a power clean starts with the weight touching the ground. And this is what I do for a hang squat clean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhFMuersBh4.

Paul French said...

I can't find the website right now, but it does a great job at saying what each type is, it was created by olympic level athletes so I know to trust them.

Power doesn't mean from the floor, if it doesn't say hang....it'll automatically be the from floor. Power means you catch it in a partial squat, which is how most of your cleans are done. So technically you were doing hang power cleans. Squat cleans are from the floor into a full squat, as it doesn't have the word hang or power in there.

In the olympics one event simply says "clean and jerk" doesn't have the word hang or power in there, but when you watch it pretty much all the lifters do a full squat before trying to go overhead. So unless it specifies whether its a power clean (partial squat) it would assume that it's a full squat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzQJB9XHd5c

Hang power clean...by one of the better olympic coaches out there.

Common Sense Design said...

You showed me this hang power clean video before - don't know why I didn't remember it. I just got the definitions I mentioned earlier stuck in my head from somewhere, and that's what I've been thinking of when I refer to them on this blog. Nuts! That's going to confuse things now when I check back on old routines!

Paul French said...

it shouldn't be too bad, if you look back on old routines and see hang cleans you'll know it just means hang power clean. I always use the word squat if that's what it involves, and I'm pretty sure you do too.

How often do you do cleans from the floor? I've used them a bit more lately, doing squat cleans gets the heart rate through the roof.

Common Sense Design said...

I do hang power cleans much more often than I do cleans from the floor. However, I did cleans from the floor last week when I started to feel like crap, so I didn't make the most of them. When I do Grace, the clean and jerks are always from the floor: http://59percentoverweight.blogspot.com/2011/07/whole-body.html

Post a Comment