Monday 22 August 2011

Full body: Heavy/moderate weight

Jenny LaBaw
I'd planned on making today a heavyweight routine, but due to some of the workout stations being used and my pecs being incredibly sore from Saturday, I switched some of the exercises to moderate instead.

Military press: 3, 3, 3, 3, 3
65, 70, 75, 80, 85 (2)

I actually failed the second rep @ 85 halfway up, but managed it on the (immediate) second attempt.

======

Back squats: max reps @ 140 to parallel
14, 12, 11, 12, 11

This was one of the routines I changed at the last moment. I'd wanted to do partial heavy squats, but the rack with adjustable safeties was being used by Liliana and her client, so I used the adjacent rack. I have no idea what they were talking about, but during my fourth set I could see Liliana wiggling her ass in my peripheral vision, which distracted me and I nearly lost count of my reps.

======

Dumbbell flat bench press: max reps @ 37s
12, 12, 8, 8, 7

I was going to use progressively heavier weights starting with 50s, but my chest was so sore I opted for lighter weights and more reps. I think it actually helped to stretch my pecs because they were less sore when I finished.

I was surprised at how much my reps dropped after the second set.

======

10 rft:
5 front squats @ 105 (to parallel; clean from floor to start)
5 wide-grip pull-ups
Time = 13:51

This is a significant improvement on the previous (first) time I did this routine, but I don't think I did the front squats the same way today. A month ago, I did a power clean from the ground to get the bar to my chest; today, I deadlifted the bar, then did a hang clean to move the bar up before doing my first squat. I'm not sure if that makes any difference to how challenging this is, but all the squats were unbroken.

Not the workout I'd planned for today, but tough nonetheless. I was exhausted and drowning in sweat following my last routine.

6 comments:

Paul French said...

Good thing you didn't literally fall over with the weights on your back.....that couldn't have been painful but would have been terribly funny to witness.

Common Sense Design said...

Still, it would have made an interesting report. "Please describe the circumstances surrounding the accident:"

By the way, did I do the clean/front squats correctly, as they were different to last time when I did them with you?

Paul French said...

Last time was hamstring to calf, not just to parallel, but they were from the floor so other than the depth it was the same. I looked over occasionally and saw the bar was resting better on your shoulders this time. Last time you had to break them up a couple of sets as well.

Common Sense Design said...

Even if I wanted to drop the bar I made sure I kept going. I remember last time the bar was hurting my hands and wrists, but today I kept moving as quickly as possible so I could complete the reps before I had to drop the bar.

I'm starting to feel a little fatigued this afternoon, so I'm not sure if I'll train tomorrow. This is how I started to feel a couple of weeks ago before it all went to shit, so I don't want to push myself to breaking point again. Perhaps I might run 2 or 3 miles, but definitely no weightlifting or taxing conditioning work. What do you suggest I do?

Paul French said...

Stretching or some direct arm work, but don't worry about deciding what to do until you wake up. If tomorrow you feel fine then by all means do a regular session, but if you feel the same I'd say still go to the gym just do what I mentioned above.

Common Sense Design said...

I actually feel really good this morning! Perhaps it was a lack of sleep the night before that was catching up with me, rather than training fatigue.

Post a Comment