Monday 29 August 2011

Full body: Moderate/light weight

Thank you, www.facebook.com/GymMotivation!
I usually do a heavy weight workout on Mondays, but my last two sessions have been heavy - albeit with a rest day after each - so I decided to switch things up a bit.

Alternate sets:

Incline bench press: 5 x max @ 95
8, 7, 7, 6, 6

I used the white incline bench at the lowest setting and had safeties set at 8 holes. This means the bar was touching my chest at the lowest level.

===

C2B pull-ups: 5 x max reps
7, 5, 5, 5, 5

======

5 rft:
5 hang cleans @ 75
5 snatches @ 75

Time = 7:52

I was going to do 5 overhead squats at 75lb, too, but even in my warm-up I couldn't get a decent depth to make it worth doing. I need to practice them some more first. 75lb is obviously very light for me, but I wanted to use the same weight for both the cleans and snatches. Of course, I raced through the cleans and all rounds were unbroken.

In the first two rounds I went into the snatches too quickly without enough rest, and my form suffered because of that. My arms seemed to bend too often as I was bring the bar up, thus bring it too close to my body. I made sure I took a breather after the last three sets of cleans, which gave me enough time to recover, and my snatches were much better after that; i.e. my arms stayed straight all the way up and over my head.


======

5 rft:
3 hang squat cleans @ 100
20 burpees

Time = 14:37

This is a version of yesterday's CrossFit WOD, where you get to choose the type of clean. I think I could have gone a bit heavier with the hang squat cleans, only because my form was perfect on every rep and all the sets - albeit short - were unbroken. Only the first round of burpees were consecutive. All subsequent sets needed one or two rests.

I checked my watch at the end of each round. Including all the rest breaks between sets - because I obviously didn't stop my watch between rounds - they broke down as follows:

1:51, 4:48, 8:05, 11:32, 14:37

Understandably, I got slower with each set, except for the last one, which was just over 3 minutes, nearly 25 seconds faster than the previous round!

4 comments:

Paul French said...

heh in snatches the bar is suppose to stay close to your body, if yuor arms are straight the entire time the exercise becomes an overly excited front raise. If yuo did them the same way you did with me however, your arms definately do bend which is the proper way to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43qi9DlGUxU

Pause the video at 3 seconds and you'll see her arms are bent. Also snatches follow the same rule as cleans in terms of whether they are from the hang, power or squat style.

Common Sense Design said...

The first couple of rounds the bar practically touched my chest on the way up, so it was nearly a very quick clean and jerk. On the subsequent sets, my form was more like this, but from a hang position: http://youtu.be/vimaLsN4Qr4. My arms were straighter, rather than totally straight. I would have clipped the rack!

Common Sense Design said...

I was actually expecting you to post a comment here telling me my form was crap! :-) Perhaps I was right and didn't even know it.

Paul French said...

heh the video is perfect, but his arms do bend, I guess I was thrown off when ya said your arms stayed straight the entire time.

I wasn't actually watching this time I got distracted by a Chris story, happens a lot lol.

Post a Comment