Thursday 9 June 2011

Olympic lifting and conditioning

Hang cleans - 5 x 5 @ 115
4, 4, 4, 4, 4 = 20

I previously managed 5 reps in the first round of cleans, so when I only got 4 today I thought I wouldn't hit my target total of 20. However, I was consistent with every set so got there quite comfortably. In fact, I think my technique felt better and more comfortable with every set.

======

Cindy - amrap 20:
5 x pull-ups (kipping)
10 x push-ups
15 x air squats

Score = 14 rounds plus 5 pull-ups/3 push-ups

My PR is 13 rounds plus 5 pull-ups, so that's a good improvement. However, to put this in context, I usually do a couple of heavy weight routines before I do Cindy, whereas I only did hang cleans today. Still, I got a serious sweat going, so it was still a good workout. My first round took 36 seconds, and the first two sets were unbroken, which is a first for me. Around 5 sets in I thought I was going to lose my breakfast, probably from the fast air squats.

It' going to be a while before I can beat Spealler, though.

======

I kept my training a bit shorter today so I'd have some time to practice technique and form with overhead squats. I tried to follow the advice from Austin Malleolo in this video (about a quarter of the way in). I used a wall and bench to help get my posture right with just bodyweight squats before progressing to an empty 45lb bar. I finished with 4 sets of 3 reps by adding 20lb to the bar (10lb plate on each side). This took some practice to get the right grip for me - not too narrow nor too wide. Afterward, Cher said she thought my knees were coming too far forward when I squatted down. I don't know if that's true - I can't tell from looking head-on at the mirror - but I can see in the video that my knees shouldn't be ahead of my feet. Perhaps I'll video myself doing a few reps next week so I can see.

5 comments:

Paul French said...

Nice job on Cindy, maybe I should give that a go again.

The OH squats however, cher is sorta right, but I was watching too. Overhead squats require a lot of flexibility, really in the shoulders and even ankles. When you did them the weight was way to far in front, you would have to have the bar way further back to do them properly. Because the bar was in front it caused you to transfer the weight to your toes, which usually causes the heals to raise, which should not happen in any squat. That's why your knees travelled out over your feet so much.

Having said that, because 65 pounds is so light for you, the chance of hurting yourself is very minor, but you won't be able to progress on them properly. If yuo want I can give a quick lesson on them this weekend, but you'll have to remind me.

Common Sense Design said...

It would be interesting to see how close you can get to Speal's Cindy score of 38! Unbelievable.

Damn it - I hate it when Cheryl's right! :-) I can definitely use some help with OH squats, but will we have time this weekend, unless you work it into the scheduled leg session? If not, I have some extra time "banked" with Chris, so we could always do it one day during the week if you have some free time.

Cheryl said...

Na, na, na, na, na!!!! Aren't you lucky you have such a kind, thoughtful & kind wife?!!!!

Paul French said...

heh well the form wasn't good but the chance for injury on that was really low, the knees coming too far out over your knees is bad if you have a high load on your back.

My last cindy attempt was 18 rounds plus 9 reps into the squats, so just shy of 19, I dont have a prayer of catching Speal.

Common Sense Design said...

My rest breaks weren't too long by any means, but Spealler can't have taken any at all. I searched on YouTube but there aren't any videos of him doing Cindy.

Post a Comment