Thursday 2 June 2011

Conditioning

My quads and glutes are still painful from Tuesday's leg session, so I wasn't looking forward to the box jumps today.

This was inspired by one of Paul's routines, but I switched a few of the exercises.

50 box jumps @ 28"
50 dumbbell snatches @ 40lb (25 per arm; finish left arm before switching)
50 burpees
50 chin-up
50 jump lunges per leg
50 sit-ups

Time = 32:08

I actually started this routine with 30" box jumps and got as far as 9 reps but the box wobbled when I began to feel fatigued. I wasn't landing cleanly on the box and the 9th rep nearly made the whole set up topple over. I was concerned that box jumps at that height wouldn't be safe when I was really tired, so I stopped my watch, removed one riser from each side, then started again.

With the dumbbell snatches I had intended to use 45lb, but after I tried a few reps before the actual workout I felt that I wouldn't be able to handle that weight as part of a longer workout. In the end 40lb was still challenging. I started with 7 reps on my left, then couldn't manage more than 5 consecutive reps after that.

I still wanted to do a routine with 30" box jumps so I made up a quick one on the spot to finish.

5 RFT:
5 box jumps @ 30"
10 squat thrusts

Time = 7:22

I screwed up the first box jump and nearly went face-first into the wall! That was fatigue rather than lack of confidence. However, I wasn't 100% happy with my form on all reps because I didn't open up my hips and stand upright every time like I normally do.

I was reading a magazine early this morning before breakfast and there was a short article that referred to squat thrusts. I remember doing a squat thrust exercise when I was a kid at school, and that's what I did today. However, afterward I found demo videos on YouTube and it looks like the North American version is more like a burpee. The Brit technique is to get in a push-up position and bring your knees in quickly so that they're by your elbows; you don't stand or jump up.

When I got home I remembered I had a client meeting and I had to cycle there. Right now there isn't a part of me that doesn't feel exhausted. The worst part is - how can I put this delicately - my ass hurts like a bitch. Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment