Monday 28 March 2011

Pushing

Trained a bit later today because of a late night yesterday watching a friend doing crazy stuff with hair. I was quite tired because I only managed a few hours of sleep, but I don't think it made any difference to my performance.

======

Bench press (7 holes; small bench)
5 sets max reps to a max of 20 @ 135
5, 4, 4, 3, 4 = 20

Just managed to knock out the 20th rep in the last set, so I'll add 5lb the next time I try this.

======

Military press: 3, 3, 3, 3, 3
80, 80 (1), 75 (3), 75 (3), 80 (1.5)

I only managed one rep in my second set at 80lb, so I dropped down to 75lb for a couple of sets, then back up to 80. I looked back at earlier military press routines and this starting weight was significantly higher than I've attempted previously. Not sure why I decided to start with 80.

======

20-15-10-5 reps for time
Dips
Clapping push-ups

Time = 13:31

======

Machine shoulder press; 3 sets @ 60
4, 4, 4

======

Mixed results today. The most challenging part was when Eric asked me to spot him while he was doing incline bench presses. Me. Spotting him. I asked him who was going to spot me while I was spotting him.

6 comments:

Paul French said...

heh why was spotting him the most challenging part?

Common Sense Design said...

Because there was more pressure on me than on Eric. If he failed then he misses a new PR; if I failed you'd be picking up his clients. I spotted him twice. The second time he said, "This is scary - I've never tried this weight before". Thanks. So no pressure on me, then.

Paul French said...

heh when someone fails on a lift, there muscles don't stop working completely, all the spotter ever has to do is give the bar a little nudge to get it moving again.

Common Sense Design said...

Well, I realized that Eric wasn't expecting me to take the entire weight! That would have been suicidal. But you can imagine how much weight he had on the bar. I remember watching him and Jason doing shoulder presses with a barbell that was bending under the strain!

By the way, I left a baggie at the gym for you with one serving/scoop of the new protein powder I'm using from CostCo, so you can see if you like it. Not that I'll be going back soon, though - I've only just opened the 2kg tub. http://kaizenprotein.com/

Paul French said...

heh I saw that there when I came in but no one knew who it was for, there are a few Paul's who workout there so I didn't want to assume. Thanks I'll give it a try when I come back tonight and let ya know what I think.

Common Sense Design said...

For goodness sake - I gave it to Liliana and said it was for you!

Post a Comment