Tuesday 1 March 2011

Conditioning

21-15-9 reps for time:
Hang squat cleans (to 5 risers) @ 95lb
Burpees
Box jumps @ 24"
Bench-supported lateral hops @ 24" (per side)

Time = 24:15

This was over 10 minutes longer than Paul's time using the same weight for the hang squat clean. It's not a spectacular time, but respectable. I actually thought I'd do a lot worse, especially with the 95lb barbell (45lb bar with 25lb plate on each side). They were challenging but easier than I expected. 

However, when I've watched videos of this movement (see below) people have been doing them with one fluid movement. When I did them, I performed a clean, then let the weight settle for the briefest moment before squatting. Perhaps this was because of my size, or perhaps I need to work on the mechanics of the movement as I get stronger.

I completed 7 reps of the hsc before I rested, then the rest were broken down into 4s and 3s (got down to 2s in the last set). I didn't fail on any reps, but I don't know if this means I judged correctly when to rest or if I could have pushed myself harder.


The next routine was an amended version of Paul's.

25 reps for time:
Over-the-box jump each way plus 1 burpee = 1 rep

Time = 7:19



Hang Squat Clean

4 comments:

Paul French said...

heh it's not your size, it just takes practise. I catch the bar as I am dropping into the squat, or in this workouts case I think I caught the bar as I was at the bottom of of the squat. On Tuesdays and Thursdays you sometimes finish your workouts before Cheryl, in that time practise the squat clean, start with just the bar and don't think about adding weight until your movement mimics what you see in the video.

It certainly makes workouts like this more fluid and quick, but it just takes practise starting light. Similar with the push presses, have to start light and work your way up, only adding weight when the form is perfect. You're not an olympic lifter so it's not a huge issue, but it's nice because it makes some movements easier.

Common Sense Design said...

I was just glad my back held out. It was hurting like hell this morning because I've been coughing so hard!

I can't remember - is this the first time I've done the hang squat clean, or have I done it with you?

Paul French said...

You have before but not in quite some time, I recall is was a power clean/front squat back then as well.

Common Sense Design said...

I should have watched this video instead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D-awnyvJWQ

Post a Comment