Wednesday 30 March 2011

Pulling

Weighted chin-ups - 3, 3, 3, 3, 3
30, 32.5, 37.5, 42.5, 47.5

I attempted an extra set with a 50lb dumbbell because 47.5 felt so comfortable and I wanted to see if I could do it. I managed 2 reps.

======

Rack-supported dumbbell rows - 4, 4, 4, 4, 4
55, 65, 70, 70, 75 (3)

======

18 wide-grip pull-ups
30 neutral-grip pull-ups
42 neutral-grip inverted rows (using parallettes)

Time = 10:53

======

For time:
40 x single arm dumbbell rows @ 55 (40 per arm; complete left side before starting on the right)
40 x chin-ups

Time = 12:36

Recently when I've done db rows similar to this I keep switching arms so I can keep moving. This time I wanted to completely fatigue my arms rather than allow them too much time for rest, so I finished all my left-hand reps before I started the right side's rows.

7 comments:

Paul French said...

nice job on the chinups, but if ya tried an extra set of 3 put it into your log and make it 6 sets of 3. I do that a lot, adding an extra set at the end for the main reason that I felt like it and wanted to see if I could do the weight.

Common Sense Design said...

Thanks! Have I done these with you before? I searched my blog and couldn't find it anywhere. I wanted to see if I'd done the same routine with different weights. Without meaning to sound over-confident, these chin-ups felt almost too easy, as if I picked dumbbells that were too light.

That being said, I felt the same way after Monday's pushing session, as if it was all too easy. However, when I woke up on Tuesday - and today! - my pecs were killing me and I struggled to put on a t-shirt.

Paul French said...

Im curious, how do you judge whether a workout you did was good or not. I hope it's not still based solely on how sore you get, there are far too many other factors that come into play that can affect muscle soreness.

Common Sense Design said...

Not just soreness, but that's partly it. I know that sometimes I've worked really hard and broken PRs, and that hasn't made me sore. In other words, I can make progress without experiencing doms. However, I can't think of a single time where I've felt sore but I *haven't* worked hard (if that makes sense).

I'm pretty pleased with how hard I trained all last week and this week so far - Olympic lifting tomorrow - and I think the difference compared to the few weeks before that has been because I've been doing effective warm ups. They're not too long - just a few minutes - but my shoulders in particular have been nice and loosened up before I lift a single weight.

Common Sense Design said...

Sorry, I didn't really answer your question. The way I judge if I had a good workout is just a feeling. There's nothing scientific about it. It all comes down to attitude and if I feel like I gave it everything I could. Yesterday I set two new PRs on a leg day, but I hardly feel any soreness today.

Paul French said...

Excellent, I was worried you fell back into that old view, because a while ago you once said "Im not sore today I must not have trained hard enough" despite barely able to walk out of the gym. It's just that feeling, exacty same for me, it'd be awesome if it was every workout, but oh well.

Common Sense Design said...

Actually, I just check the amount of blood on the floor.

Post a Comment