Tuesday 25 October 2011

Legs: Heavy weight

After yesterday's disappointment and frustration, today was significantly better. Today was all heavy leg routines and, although not spectacular, my hip held out without any significant pain. I haven't had a purely leg day - especially a heavy one - for a couple of months, so in context it was certainly a good session.

Partial back squats (Smith machine) 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3
215, 235, 255, 280, 300, 305, 310, 315
Update: the bar weighed less than I thought, so I was squatting less than originally shown. It should read:
200, 220, 240, 265, 285, 290, 295, 300

Jason was using the white squat rack, so I couldn't do my usual partial back squats. This is the first time I've used a Smith machine and it definitely made it easier to go heavy because of the extra stability. I had the safeties set on the 6th rung and I'm not sure if that is the same height as having them at 7 holes on the cage. I was certainly well above parallel, but that doesn't really tell me anything. Put it this way - I got up to 315lb on the Smith machine, whereas my PR doing regular partials is only 295.

======

Box front squats 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5 (small bench, wooden step)
Warm up @ 95
115, 125, 135, 145 (4), 145 (5), 150 (1)

Checking back on my blog, this actually went better than I thought today. I'd planned on doing only 5 sets, but because I got 5 reps in the last one I decided to try an extra set (the first 5 sets matched my PR in July, which was at the start of a personal training session). I only managed 1 rep at 150lb, but I think that's a new PR for box front squats. The first two sets used the proper grip, but I switched to crossed arms from 135lb onwards. If it hadn't been for the weight crushing my thumbs (!) I think I could have got at least 1 more rep at 150lb. Still, no complaints here.

======

Dumbbell Bulgarian split squats 3, 3, 3, 3, 3
Warm up: 5 @ 40s
52.5s, 55s, 60s, 65s, 65s

Of the 3 routines I'd planned for today, this was the one I was most concerned about because of my hip. However, it feels like it actually might have helped because of the stretching movement. It's been a long time since I did Bulgarian splits with dumbbells - I've been using a barbell more recently - but this matches my PR with dumbbells, albeit from more then 6 months ago. That doesn't bother me, though, because (a) in March I did these at the beginning of my workout, not when my legs were fatigued, and (b) as mentioned before, this is my first heavy leg day in months.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with today, especially as it looks like I haven't lost any strength in my legs from lack of heavy squatting. Quick movements are still a problem - so no timed air squats or burpees yet - but slow, controlled squatting is ok.

2 comments:

Paul French said...

Nice leg day, probably did feel good, although I should mention that the smich machine bar weighs 30 pounds, not 45 like the others. Nevertheless that's still 300 pounds.

Common Sense Design said...

Poop. I asked Liliana how much the bar weighed and she thought it was 45lb, too. I don't think I squatted as low as I do in the cage when I do partials, but at least it loosened me up for the front squats. It felt weird being so stable on the Smith; usually when I have a heavy weight on my back I'm staggering about trying not to topple over.

I was so pleased to do a fairly decent leg workout that I forgot to stretch at the end. Big mistake.

Post a Comment