Tuesday 11 October 2011

Conditioning: Murph

It's been a while since I did a pure conditioning workout, so it's about time I threw one in. And this one was a killer. I've been wanting to do the Murph routine all summer, but for one reason or another I never got round to it. It looks like the weather is going to start getting worse after today - rain projected for the next few days - so I wanted to have what might be last my run of the year. The squatting part of Murph would have been impossible due to my hip, so I subbed box jumps instead.

For time:
1 mile run
100 pull-ups
200 push-ups
300 box jumps @ 20"
1 mile run
Time = 1 hr 11 min

I broke up the moves between the 2 runs into 10 rounds of 10 pull-ups, 20 push-ups and 30 box jumps.

For the mile I ran from the outer gym door and back again, using the longest loop of the 1 and a half mile course. According to this on RunningMap.com, that's almost exactly a mile. The first run was deliberately quite slow to conserve energy. I glanced at my watch when I got back to the gym the first time and I'd taken about 8:40.

The second run hurt like hell. I'd just got out of the parking lot when both my calves started to cramp up (300 box jumps will do that to ya). I walked for a few yards, then started jogging again. By the time my calves felt better, my quads started to get cramp, too. I walked that off for a little bit and jogged again. The rest of the second mile was a series of jogs and walks, which must have cost me several minutes. I got to the top of Elgin Eby and Forest and decided to run the rest of the way, no matter how much it hurt.

Not my longest ever training session, but close. Glad I did it, though. 

I spent about 4 hours yesterday preparing meals for the rest of the week. Chicken stew, turkey sausages, pork meatballs with ginger and orange, tuna fish cakes, roasted fall veggies. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment