Thursday 19 May 2011

Conditioning

Lance Armstrong
Holy shit. Longest. Workout. Ever.

10 rounds for time:
10 x Burpees
10 x Box jumps @ 26"
10 x DB Thrusters @ 30s
10 x Bench-supported lateral hops @ 26"
10 x DB Swings @ 30
10 x Push-ups
10 x Jump Squats

Time = 1:14:48

I planned this at the last minute this morning and figured it would take me about 40 minutes, leaving some time to do another workout. Looking at that statement now, an average of 4 minutes per round is ambitious and optimistic. At one point - when I realised this was going to take longer than expected - I considered changing this workout to an amrap 45. However, this felt like quitting and I know I would have regretted it. I remember seeing a sign at Crossfit Waterloo with a quote from Lance Armstrong: "Pain is temporary. Quitting is forever." Sounds corny, but thinking about that kept me going.

Almost lost in all this is the fact I did box jumps and lateral hops at 26", the highest I've ever attempted. It shows how far I've come with my training that the height didn't intimidate me. It's only 2" taller than my usual box height, so progress in increments feels achievable.

5 comments:

Paul French said...

heh looking at that workout Im not sure why you thought it would take 40 minutes. Here is general rule I use when determining a workout length before I even do it.

Total reps - That can help big time, take the workout you performed here, http://59percentoverweight.blogspot.com/2011/02/conditioning_26.html
500 total reps took you 43 minute, the workout above is 700 freakin repetitions, how would that be done in around 40 minutes.
Exercise Choice - This plays entirely with the above, using the same workout of 500 reps, some of the exercises are simple, like weightless lunges, situps, push press with 45 lbs, and the 500 metre row. Your workout the only one I'd call simple...or "quick" would be pushups and maybe jump squats, the rest are harder and ones like burpees and thrusters are 2 exercises in one.

Use those 2 factors when coming up with your own workout, which I encourage, can help you determine how hard it might be. Good for finishing the workout, Im sure plenty would have simply quit.

Common Sense Design said...

I clearly wasn't thinking straight this morning at 7:00am when I worked out what I was going to do! It wasn't until I was in the shower afterward that I worked out I'd just done 700 reps. To complete that in 40 minutes I would have needed to average 17.5 reps per minute, or close to 3.5 seconds per rep. Ain't happening!

I threw the thrusters in there at the last minute because I haven't done them in a while. Thank God you talked me out of the 40lb dumbbells - I'd still be in the gym now! The thrusters with 30s was the toughest exercise to get through and needed the most rest breaks. The last two rounds of burpees were in slow-mo, too.

I was about to start the jump squats in round 8 when you asked me if I was going to finish. I actually had to think about it, but I remembered a recent CrossFit road trip video with James Hobart encouraging an out-of-shape - but motivated - gym member to keep going with the kettlebell swings because he was over halfway so there was no point in quitting now. I figured I was in the home stretch, so what was the point in stopping with only two sets to go. Besides, my ego wouldn't let me quit with you watching!

Paul French said...

I had the exact same feeling here;

http://paulsfitnessblog.blogspot.com/2011/05/may-7-2011.html

Common Sense Design said...

Ha! I remember that one. I didn't actually feel as bad as you did during the workout. I felt fatigued - understandably - and a little nauseous at one point, but that was probably due to the up and down movement of all the burpees. Put it this way - I've often felt worse during and just after some leg or conditioning sessions with you than I did yesterday. There's very little soreness this morning (Friday) but my body feels really tired. I've earned today's rest day.

Paul French said...

That's one of the other things I enjoy about workouts like that, ya really feel like you earned the rest day that follows it.

Post a Comment