Wednesday 4 May 2011

Pulling

Pull-ups - 4 x max reps
12, 8, 6, 5

======

Cable row - 5 sets @ 130
6, 5, 5, 5, 5

======

For time:
40 bent over rows @ 95
40 chin-ups
Time = 11:07

In retrospect I probably should have gone heavier for the rows. I tried a couple of reps at 110 and they felt challenging, but I thought I would have struggled with 40 reps. I dropped down to 95 and consequently 40 reps felt too comfortable. That accounts for the pretty quick time, but I haven't done bent over rows for a long time so I had no way of gauging the most appropriate weight. I'll go for at least 110 next time I try something like this.

======

Standing barbell curl - 5, 5, 5
45, 55, 60 (3)

4 comments:

Paul French said...

Looks like a good workout, buut I did notice the BO row form was a little iffy, most people as they fatique tend to start standing up and it becomes sort of a BB shrug and upright row combo. I'd leave the weight the same and make sure you stay bent over. The bar, when arms are straight should be just past the knees/middle shin, kind of like the bottom of a romanian deadlift.

Common Sense Design said...

Thanks for the advice. Have I done BO rows with you - a long time ago - or am I imagining things?

I think some of the problems with my form was due to me trying to string together 4 or 5 consecutive reps, whereas it might have been better for me to do, say, 3, and then rest.

I did feel that my form wasn't great some of the time, but I wasn't sure. Glad you have good eyesight! :-)

Paul French said...

it has been quite some, we have done them but not for a while. I did that routine a couple months ago I think. They can be straining on the back, but ur back is stronger now than it was before (there was a time you couldn't even do back back squats) so I can probably throw them in again.

Common Sense Design said...

Yeah, that routine was copied from your blog and scaled. My back was a little bit sore from yesterday's squats but felt completely better after a few stretches this morning. I'm planning on doing some heavy deadlifts plus some sumo deadlift high pulls tomorrow, so my back better be 100%.

Post a Comment