Saturday 21 May 2011

Conditioning

Personal training with Paul

Deck of cards:
Hearts = Burpees
Diamonds = Pull-ups
Spades = Box jumps @ 28"
Clubs = Jump lunges

Each suit is a designated exercise, the number on the card dictates how many reps you will perform. Jack=11, Queen=12, King=13, and Ace=14, must get through the entire deck, only picking a new card when you finish the last one. For the jump lunges, you perform that many per leg.

Time = 47:15

Not a bad time, by comparison, although Paul did box jumps to 30", 2" higher than me. He's 11" taller, so perhaps he should have been doing them to at least 38"!

This was a fun workout. The random aspect, because of the card draw, kept it interesting. Early in the routine I did 34 box jumps because I drew 3 spades in a row. Simply doing a rotation of all the different movements from 1 to 14 reps wouldn't have been as enjoyable, although I think the word "bollocks" was used more than once when I got the same exercise back to back.

In order of easiness, from easy to hard: box jumps, pull-ups, jump lunges, burpees. The latter made me feel nauseous from all the up and down movements. Also, the first few rounds of both burpees and pull-ups were a little painful on my lower back, which had been stiff since I woke up. Kipping wasn't possible because it hurt too much. However, I soon loosened up and the pain cleared up.

I did a few box jump at 30", just to see if I could. That's what I'll use as my set height the next time I do them.

No comments:

Post a Comment