Saturday 17 September 2011

Upper body

Felt a bit bleh today following 2 days with an upset stomach. Researching this online I found that it might be due to a nutrition imbalance in my diet; i.e. not the right balance of protein to healthy fats. 

I've been eating a lot of Paleo-style meals the past few weeks, but not a strict Paleo diet, which doesn't allow for dairy nor peanuts (you'll take the apples and peanut butter from my cold, dead hands!) Basically, I've cut out starch almost completely, not because of the long-term health benefits suggested by some advocates, but because most of the time when I eat bread, pasta or rice I tend to feel bloated and uncomfortable. I don't think this is an allergy, just a mild intolerance. 

I've felt much better over the past month or so and, crucially, I haven't felt weaker when I do my workouts. I actually ate a sandwich - with decent quality whole wheat bread - yesterday and it didn't cause any problems. Anyway, the protein/fat problem wasn't a deliberate attempt to cut out some fat, too. This might just have been something I wasn't paying proper attention to the past couple of days.

Update: After my lengthy hypothesis about why I have a dodgy tummy, I actually think it's just a stomach bug and nothing to do with my diet!

Anyway, onto today's training, which went better than I expected, especially as I was feeling a little drained.

Drop set pull-ups (30lb db - bodyweight)
6-5, 5-4, 4-2, 3-2, 3-2

A bit better than last time.

======

Superset:
Incline bench press @ 95 x max: 6, 4, 3, 4, 4
Push-ups - max: 10, 9, 7, 8, 9

======

For time 20-15-10-5
Neutral pull-ups
After each set do 5 wide-grip pull-ups
Time = 11:12

Rather than go flat out and try to get through as quickly as possible, I tried to use more controlled movements. Comparing this score to about 5 months ago, that certainly paid off, with a 3:50 4:50 improvement. However, back then I did a bit more pulling routines beforehand - today's included pushing - so that might make a difference. Also around 5 months ago I did a similar routine, reversing the wide-grips and neutral pull-ups.

======

Amrap 10:
10 push-press @ 75 (initially from the ground)
10 dips
Score = 3 rounds + 10 push-press and 7 dips

The last set of push-presses was pretty mental! No idea where that energy suddenly came from.

I'm really looking forward to my first Terry Fox Run tomorrow, alongside Madi. She has another one at her school on Thursday, so I'll be returning the favour and joining her on that one.

2 comments:

Paul French said...

I doupt the extra pulling 5 months ago would have made too much of a difference, nice improvement there for sure.

Common Sense Design said...

Thanks - I guess I'd warmed up by that point!

Post a Comment