Thursday 8 September 2011

Full body: Light weight

I felt a bit low on energy this morning and I wondered if I had over-trained again. However, I didn't feel as bad as last time, so I risked a light weight workout, which seemed to go okay.

Hang power snatches: 45 (5), 65 (3), 75 (3), 85 (2), 85 (F)

I know it's not saying much, but 85lb is still a PR for me!

======

Superset - 4 x max reps:
Inverted rows: 12, 9, 7, 8 (bar resting on safeties @ 7 holes, feet on small bench)
Pull-ups: 6, 4, 4, 4

======

4 rft - all @ 85
5 deadlifts
5 front squats
5 push-presses
5 power cleans

Time = 6:52

The hardest part of this whole routine was getting the bar into position between moves! The deadlifts were easy and very quick, but I was so out of breath by the end of each set that it took me a while to get enough energy to clean the bar into position for the front squats. The push-presses were pretty fast, too, and with a few of the reps I was moving so quickly I nearly lost my balance and toppled backwards. 85lb is pretty light for all these moves, but the purpose of this was to move quickly. This is adapted from a Plymouth CrossFit WOD, which suggests using 95lb or 65lb; I opted for something just over halfway between the two.

======

Gironda dips - 4 x max reps:
6, 6, 4, 5

======

Overhead squats: 5, 5, 5, 5
25, 35, 40, 45 (2)

This was more for practicing the movement, rather than an exercise. Still, another awe-inspiring PR

Yesterday I signed up for the 2011 New Hamburg Terry Fox Run. There are two courses: one is 3k - which I'll be running - and the other is 8.5k, both starting from Scott Park. This takes place on Sunday, September 18, which is 2 weeks before the breast cancer Run for the Cure. 

There has been a thoroughly disappointing lack of interest from fellow board of trade members, despite me asking several times for people to join a team. I can't believe the local apathy for this year's run, which marks 30 years since a Canadian hero and icon died. Regardless of who else bothers to turn up, I'll be there.

6 comments:

Paul French said...

I see you did 4 days of full body workouts in a row and no "arm days" or light days, how come?

Common Sense Design said...

Other than the metcon - which was sub-7 minutes - I thought today was pretty light. The snatches and overhead squats were more to do with technique practice, rather than a true workout.

I've had arm days for the past 3 or 4 weeks. I just wanted to take a break from that for 1 week and see how I felt. I'm glad tomorrow is a rest day, but I actually don't feel too bad now.

Paul French said...

as long as you are feeling energized now it should be fine. Also its not about the length of a metcon but more the intensity of it, and anything that is max repetition stuff as it means you are hitting muscular failure (and therefore CNS failure).

Common Sense Design said...

A few weeks ago when I over-trained, I felt pretty sick. Earlier today I just felt tired, but my arms were a bit achy. But you're right; it was probably a mistake to push myself today and I should listen to my body's signals. That was my ego over-riding common sense.

I have a rest day, training with you, then another rest day. I'm not going to overdo it next week because of the Terry Fox 3K Run on September 17, the day after a session with you.

Paul French said...

ohh is that when it is? Knowing that now would you like me to make it more upper body focussed so your legs are fresh.....actually I think your legs can handle the run but if your back is sore then that'd be a bit more a pain.

Common Sense Design said...

Sorry, it's Sunday, September 18, not 17. Let's see how things go during next week's training before deciding to stick with all upper body next Saturday. My quads are sore from the 100 weighted squats on Tuesday, but I can't remember the last time they've hurt. Perhaps avoid working my hamstrings, which seem to be taking the longest time to recover these days.

Post a Comment