Monday 19 September 2011

Full body: Heavy weight

Bench press 3, 3, 3, 3 (small bench, 6 holes)
135, 140 (2), 140 (2), 140 (F)

Not a good start. I've done better than this before but perhaps my muscles were still tired from Saturday's workout. My pecs felt a bit sore this morning, but that doesn't always mean I'm not up to doing more chest work. I might have been better off doing something like dumbbell piston presses rather than heavy benches.

======

Resistance band neutral grip pull-ups (green); max reps
3, 4, 3, 3, 3

I haven't done these for a while and I couldn't remember which coloured band I used before. I tried the purple and couldn't even manage a single rep, so I thought I was using the wrong one and went down to a green. However, looking back at an earlier post, I did actually use the purple and even got more reps than I did today. Jeez, I must really be feeling weaker than I thought!

======

Push presses - 4 x max @ 110 (from rack)
5, 6, 5, 7

======

Deadlifts - 4 x max @ 185 (starting from top)
9, 10, 10, 8

My back is back to normal (hip flexor's still a bit dodgy) so I decided to do some deadlifts. This is the first time I've done deadlifts from the top rather than the ground. The only real difference I found was that the last rep was a bitch because I had to get the weights back up to rack them!  

Pretty crappy day in terms of results. I did a very slow 3km Terry Fox Run with Madi yesterday, but I'm pretty sure it didn't take that much out of me! I don't track my nutrition too compulsively, but this weekend was so busy that the timing of my meals and snacks was all over the place, whereas I'm usually like clockwork. Not sure if that might have been partially to blame, or perhaps it was just one of those days.

Might be time to lay off the heavy weights and try some conditioning tomorrow. 

4 comments:

Paul French said...

Down to a green? Are you sure, if memory serves me right the purple is the lightest and then the green, with the blue being the hardest for that particular exercise. For the record I am only referring to the bands that are complete circles not the ones with handles.

Common Sense Design said...

Maybe I'm remembering the colours incorrectly. Today I used the narrowest circular band, which I think is green. The blue band - i.e. the hardest one - is a lot wider, thus offering more resistance. I'm referring to the circular giant elastic bands, which I anchored with an 85lb dumbbell then put the other end round the back of my neck.

I think today was just one of those days. I certainly feel fine, not like when I overtrained. I don't feel tired or fatigued at all. There are some days when I feel like crap - like this past Saturday - and I do pretty well, even setting new PRs. Then there are other days when I feel great and ready to kill every workout, but nothing seems to go right. But today I'm somewhere in the middle.

Paul French said...

hah you got the bands mixed up, I checked to be sure when I was at the gym just now and the most narrow band is purple, which is what you used the last time, I recently graduated to the green and it's quite the difference. So I'm guessing today you used the purple (like last time)....and now no more old comments to me, you can't even see the colours properly :).

Common Sense Design said...

Hey, I can see the colours, I just can't remember them, which is a whole other problem!

Post a Comment