Wednesday 7 September 2011

Full body: Heavy/moderate weight



Bench press (large bench, corner squat rack safeties): max @ 120
(Warm up: 7 @ 95)
5, 4, 3, 3, 3

I used the large bench and rested the bar on the safeties of the corner squat rack. That leaves the bar less than an inch from my chest at the lowest position, so as close as possible to full rom.

======

Deadlifts (for time):
145 x 10 - 20 seconds
165 x 10 - 21 seconds
185 x 10 - 31 seconds
205 x 10 - 59 seconds
225 x 10 - 2:00

When I was planning this routine, I worked in reverse. Paul's heaviest weight was 285, so I scaled mine to roughly 80% of that (give or take a couple of pounds), and deducted 20lb for each preceding round. The first 3 rounds felt really easy and at the time I wondered if I'd scaled it incorrectly. I was moving so quickly that I was drawing a lot of attention because of the clanging plates when they hit the ground. I actually did the first set twice because I forgot to start my watch the first time! I rested 2 minutes, then started again. Rounds 4 and 5 felt tough and were the only ones that had to be broken up into 2 or 3 sets. I didn't use straps for the heavier sets because wrapping them around the bar would have slowed me down. My form throughout was good, without my back bending. That being said, I expect a pretty sore lower back tomorrow (in a good way).

======

Dumbbell rows: 5 x max @ 65 per arm
10, 9, 8, 8, 7

2 comments:

Paul French said...

Like me you made quite the drop in time after you had to take a break, but I probably would have started you off heavier. My first set at 185 was about 80% of your first lift, but then I made a 40 pound jump before making just 20 pound jumps. If you do this routine again, maybe start at 165 and make the increases from there.

Common Sense Design said...

I didn't notice your 40lb jump before, but - even though 225 was tough - I definitely could have made this more challenging from the start. That being said, my lower back hurts like a bitch today (doms).

Post a Comment