Saturday 10 September 2011

Full body

Personal training with Paul

Front squats (for time):
95 x 10 - 18 seconds
115 x 10 - 1:35
115 x 10 - 24 seconds (switched grip)
135 x 10 - 2:39
145 x 10 - 4:56

The correct grip for front squats is still causing me problems when I start to use heavier weight. The first round at 115 was so much slower than the second because my left wrist started to hurt (it's always the left). Perhaps it's not a bad idea to switch grips, as I did today, while I try to build up my wrist flexibility. I'll try the two-fingered style for light weights, then switch to my old cross-over style as I get heavier.

======

5 rft:
5 deadlifts @ 225
10 burpees
Time = 10:02




======

Amrap 10:
5 wide grip pull-ups
10 clapping push-ups
15 jump squats
Score = 4 + 10 clapping push-ups

I actually thought its was only 3 completed rounds, not 4, but I was so out of breath and sweating like a pig that I lost count. If Paul's correct - bearing in mind he's getting forgetful in his old age - that would mean I was close to completing a round every 2 minutes, which seems pretty quick.

Don't know what I looked like coming out of the changing room afterward, but Eric took one look at me, said "Holy shit!", and burst out laughing. That can't be good.

I was feeling pretty drained when I started this morning, so I'm pleased with how today went, particularly the deadlifts/burpees routine, whatever the score was. I definitely need to start paying attention to how my body feels during the week, otherwise I'll end up overtraining again. 

I'll be switching back to my previous style of training for the next couple of weeks so that my legs will be fresh for the two cancer benefit runs I'll be doing on 2 Sundays (September 18 and October 2). They're only 3k and 5k respectively, but they're both on what would normally be rest days. Besides, doing just leg training on Tuesdays will mean I'm not sore on Sundays.

4 comments:

Paul French said...

my memory must be going, you actually did a 5th set of the front squats at 145 which took you 4:56.

Common Sense Design said...

Ok, no more smart-as comments about me being nearly half a century old.

Common Sense Design said...

So, basically you forgot one of my squat sets, you forgot to note my deadlifts/burpees score, and we're not 100% sure about how many metcon sets I completed. Are you sure it was me who overtrained? :-)

Paul French said...

lol I was just having a Nigel moment....errr I mean seniors moment :).

Post a Comment