Tuesday 20 September 2011

Conditioning

Took it a bit easy today for a couple of reasons. First, I think yesterday's results might indicate I'm a bit tired, although I don't feel I've overtrained. Second, my hip flexor is still causing me problems. Although it isn't getting any worse, its recovery does seem to have plateaued.

Today's conditioning routine was very basic - just hang power cleans and box jumps. I had intended to do hang squat cleans and burpees as well, but when I tried those moves during my warm up I could feel pain in my hip flexor, especially while bring my knees/legs in during the burpees. I've been stretching it, but it's probably just a matter of being patient and not causing any further damage.

5 rft:
25 hang power cleans @ 95
25 box jumps
Time = 30:14

That's it. Nothing spectacular today. It felt fairly challenging, but I have nothing to compare it to in order to evaluate if that's a respectable score. I might have a "vanity day" tomorrow, then try a limited rom leg day on Thursday. I'll wait to see how I feel, though.

3 comments:

Paul French said...

My advice would be to forget the leg training for the week, keep the vanity day tomorrow, then thursday maybe try some upper body stuff or core or even more conditioning. Hips are tricky, just like the back or knees or shoulder (in my current case elbow). While I can easily do upper body training it'll just not let the problem heal, so I have to leave it untouched, I say do the same for your hip.

Common Sense Design said...

That makes sense. My only concern about doing upper body again on Thursday is that I'll have done too much (Saturday, Monday and Thursday) with not much else. Even if I did conditioning on Thursday that would have to be upper body, too - i.e. no burpees, jump lunges or air squats. However, your advice makes sense so perhaps I'll do a high rep upper body day on Thursday.

Paul French said...

Another option is do half upper body on thursday and spend the rest of it doing stretches and some ab work.

Post a Comment