Monday 5 September 2011

Full body: Heavy weight + plenty of whining

I'm cravin' it.
Felt a bit bleh this morning, perhaps because I started the day with an upset stomach. This might have been due to overdoing the fibre in the second half of yesterday! I had a homemade fruit smoothie as a mid-afternoon snack - lots of fruit and protein - and for dinner I cooked salmon in sesame oil and ginger, with about a cup and a half of veggies, plus about a cup of mashed cauliflower with paprika and garlic. I tried the latter for the first time because I keep reading that it's a good substitute for mashed potato; although it tasted nothing like it, it was delicious nonetheless. Oh, and I had an apple with some peanut butter as a late evening snack. So, plenty of fibre and protein yesterday, and I paid the price this morning, which might be why I felt a bit weak. 

It also might explain why last night I had a dream that I ate a Big Mac. Seriously.

Hang power clean and press, holding the bar overhead for 3 seconds:
65 (3), 75 (3), 85 (3), 95 (3), 100 (3), 105 (2.5), 105 (2), 105 (1.5)

My back was a little sore when I started training today, so I avoided jarring it with fast cleans from the ground, opting for hang power cleans instead. In the sets where I've noted a half rep, that's because I managed to get the bar overhead and lockout my arms, but the bar came straight back down; I couldn't keep the bar up once I'd got it there.

Also, in the third rep of the first set, I hit my chin hard with the bar when I was doing the push press. It fucking hurt and I thought I'd chipped a tooth because I'd jammed my teeth together! Jeez, great start! Update: I can feel a bump developing on my chin!

======

Box front squats 5, 5, 5, 5, 5 (small bench, wooden step)
115, 125, 135 (3), 135 (2) - quit

This was very disappointing. I didn't fail - and, subsequently, quit - because I couldn't perform a squat; it was because my left wrist was hurting and I couldn't maintain the "bent wrist" grip. I was using the squat rack in the corner of the gym, and in the third rep of the last set that I attempted I got to the seated position on the bench and had to let the bar go. Thankfully, I could drop it on the rests without too much noise. Considering I managed to PR with a 150lb full ROM front squat a few weeks ago, today's result really pissed me off.

======

Dumbbell piston press 5, 5, 5, 5, 5 per arm
37s, 42s, 47s, 50s (4), 50s (3)

This is pretty much the same score as last time, although the number of reps in the two 50lb sets were the other way round.

======

3 RFT:
5 weighted dips @ 25
7 dips
9 clapping push-ups
12 push-ups

Time = 13:14

Thankfully, I finished today on a positive note. Last time I did this I finished in 14:38, which is 1:24 slower than today. The weighted dips were by far the toughest part of the routine.

Although today didn't yield great results, there were some positives, especially the score of my final routine. Plus, I managed to push my way through this morning's training even though I wasn't feeling 100%. Not sure if a Big Mac fits into my starch-free diet, though...

2 comments:

Paul French said...

hah I cut my chin one time with a kettlebell doing high pulls, I know how it feels, good thing you didn't bite your tongue.

You dream of big macs.....man do we ever dream of different things.

Common Sense Design said...

It's nearly 12 hours later and my bloody teeth till hurt from the impact! I swear, anything that could go wrong today...

Post a Comment