Wednesday 6 April 2011

Pulling

Started a little bit later today because it took me so long to put on my socks.

Drop set pull-ups:
Perform as many reps as possible with a weight, drop the weight and then keep going with body weight without dropping off the bar. First number is with a 30lb dumbbell; the second is body weight reps.
4-4, 3-3, 3-2, 2-2, 2-2

Not sure if it makes a difference, but I used the pull-up station which has neutral grip handles (I didn't use these, though), not the squat cage where I do most of my pull-up routines. Anyway, I thought I'd get 1 or 2 reps more on some rounds, especially with just body weight. Felt tough, which is the main thing.

======

Wide neutral-grip cable rows; max reps @ 90
12, 8, 10, 9, 9

I kept good form - no momentum of leaning back - so I'll change up to a heavier resistance the next time I do these. The hardest part was sitting in position at the start. Damn butt.

======

20-15-10-5 reps for time
Neutral-grip pull-ups
Between each set and after the last one perform 5 wide-grip pull-ups (20 total)
Time = 16:02

Tougher than I expected. I never managed to do more than 2 consecutive wide-grip pull-ups in any of the rounds. I did 2 back-to-back reps in two of the rounds, but all the others were singles. The neutrals were pretty comfortable, even following straight after the wide-grips; those were the ones that slowed me down.

======

Dumbbell preacher curls - 3 sets x 5 reps per arm @ 22.5
5, 5, 5

Too easy! The first round was very comfortable and I thought about increasing the weight, but I figured it would get harder as the rounds progressed. It did, but not nearly enough to make this challenging, so I'll need to move up to 25lb next time.

Completely unrelated to my performance, which I think was okay, but I can't believe how hungry I've felt since I woke up! Perhaps I didn't eat enough yesterday, but I've been devouring food non-stop today.

2 comments:

Paul French said...

I remember doing the pullup routine, after the first set of 20 neutral grip ones I was shocked how hard the wide grip felt, they are by far the hardest pull grip for most.

Common Sense Design said...

It seems to be whichever style of pull-up comes second. I remember doing a routine a while back that started with wide-grip, then switched to neutral. That time the neutral-grip pull-ups felt brutal.

Post a Comment