Tuesday 12 April 2011

Legs

Partial squats 3, 3, 3, 3, 3
190, 210, 230, 250, 265

I stuck to the same progressions as the last time I did partial squats two weeks ago. I've been making steady gradual progress with these and didn't want to push my luck and then fail, which would be a wasted effort. Last time I managed 2 reps at 265; today I completed all 3.

======

50 x front squats @ 125 to 4 risers

Time = 15:02

These were much harder than I expected, partly because of my problems with the grip, but also because they were just plain tough. I started off with only 4 consecutive reps then dropped to 2s and 3s. When it came to the last 3 reps I could only do 2 and then I needed to rack the bar, which was a pisser. I couldn't grind out that last rep without another rest.

======

4 rounds for time:
10 reverse lunges @ 115 (5 per leg)
10 back squats @ 115

Time 11:45

My PR was 12:05, so this is a definite improvement. The back squats were full ROM - i.e. my calves touched my hamstrings. However, the form for my lunges wasn't great. My left hip flexor really hurt when I tried to go down low to put my right knee on the ground, which is my standard form. As much as I tried I couldn't manage it and my knees were always a couple of inches off the ground. 

Lunges were broken down into 2-2-1 for each leg (1 rep left, then 1 rep right) until the last round, which was 3 and 2. The squats for the first 3 rounds were 5-5; the last round was unbroken. I looked at my watch after the second round and I was already past the halfway point to my previous PR, so I thought there was no way I'd beat it. That fourth round made all the difference. But, as I said, the lunges weren't great.

======

Leg extensions: 95lb x max reps
13, 13, 11

Much better than last time, which was 10, 7, 11.

2 comments:

Paul French said...

looks like a tough leg day, nice work. Try working on front squats without ur thumb under the bar, on Sunday I paid closer to attention to my grip and my thumb was resting on top of the bar, not underneath it.

Common Sense Design said...

Thanks for the encouragement and advice!

While I was doing all these routines I kept thinking, "This is feeling tougher than it should", but when I looked at it on my blog it does actually look quite challenging.

Cher made sure I did plenty of stretching so hopefully I'll be fully flexible for Thursday's conditioning etc.

Post a Comment