Thursday 28 April 2011

Conditioning

My glutes were really sore from Tuesday's leg workout, so I spent the first 10 minutes today stretching and warming up. That turned out to be a good time investment!

For time:
10 burpee broad jumps
40 box jumps @ 24"
10 burpee broad jumps
40 bench supported lateral jumps (per side)
10 burpee broad jumps
40 over the box jumps @ 24"
10 burpee broad jumps
40 jump lunges (per leg)

Time = 18:55

This was a 1:24 slower than my PR, but also the first time I've done it completely as RXed. My burpee broad jumps had much more power than before (i.e. I jumped a greater distance forward), so that took more out of me. Surprisingly, I think I lost some time because I had to break down the box jumps into 4 sets of 10. I think I managed to do them close to unbroken before. 

The most significant difference today is that I did the otb jumps @ 24", which is the highest I've ever done them. I did a few warm up jumps before I started just to see if I could. It was a little intimidating at first, but a few seconds of staring at the set-up helped to pump up my confidence! During the routine itself I got more confident with the otb jumps, but I lost some time at the beginning because I was staring at the box before my first rep. By this time I was pretty fatigued so I was telling myself - out loud - to just bloody jump! My confidence gradually improved and I did the last 10 reps quickly and unbroken. The only time I had a lapse of concentration was when another gym user decided to walk really close by the box as I was about to jump, which put me off.

======

25 box jumps @ 24"
25 bench-supported lateral jumps per side
25 otb jumps

Time = 7:05

4 comments:

Paul French said...

heh I saw that first look at the otb jumps, seemed to stall ya a bit but not too bad. Not counting the burpees what was the hardest movement for you?

Common Sense Design said...

Surprisingly, I felt the jump lunges were the toughest simply because I was so knackered by that point. The otb jumps were hard to start with but seemed to get easier as I progressed, which is why I did them again in the second, shorter routine.

I never seriously felt like I was going to hit the box. I'd been looking forward to trying the otb jumps all week because a few months ago I didn't think I had a hope of accomplishing it. The first time I did this routine (December) I used a standard bench, not even risers set lower: http://59percentoverweight.blogspot.com/2010/12/conditioning_28.html. Last time (February) I used seven risers plus the step: http://59percentoverweight.blogspot.com/2011/02/conditioning_17.html

The only time my foot clipped the box was rep 29 of the standard box jumps. I just landed wrong and nearly went over.

Paul French said...

ya same for me, the jump lunges felt like the toughest part, it is 80 total but probably most likely because it was the last movement.

Common Sense Design said...

Well, I've done this 3 times now, and this was the most challenging, because of the otb height. My slowest time was the first one, and this was the second fastest. I can live with that! I know I'll be quicker next time because I've proven to myself I can jump over a 24" box.

The less I think about the rep the easier it is. I remember reading an article about an Irish golfer who was way out in the lead at the recent U.S. Open. He made one mistake in the final round and his game fell apart. That's because he started to think about every shot rather than running on autopilot and letting his practice and experience take over.

Post a Comment