Monday 23 January 2012

Full body

Felt a bit bleh today because of a couple of nights' crappy sleep. No idea why, but I keep waking up early - 4:40am! - and can't get back to sleep. There's no undue stress that's causing restless sleep, so I don't know why there's a problem. Because of that, I really didn't feel like training today and I had to drag my sorry arse to the gym. In my semi-comatose state I wore my regular shoes to walk there in the pissing rain, rather than my waterproof boots. Big mistake; by the time I got to ABsolute Fitness, my socks were soaked and my feet were freezing.

Because of all the above, I wasn't expecting much from today's workout - plus I was in a hurry because of a busy day - so I'm very surprised at how well the first part went. I wanted to do some deadlifts, but not too heavy as that's what I've been concentrating on the past few weeks.

======

Deadlifts for time (previous times in brackets):
145 x 10 - 14 seconds (20)
165 x 10 - 13 (21)
185 x 10 - 14 (31)
205 x 10 - 19 (59)
225 x 10 - 30 (2 minutes)
235 x 10 - 54 (didn't do this weight last time)

Holy shit, that's some improvement! I videoed every round, and the early ones look like they've been sped up on the computer. Even though I timed this on my watch while doing the routine, the scores above are timed from the videos. I added an extra, slightly heavier round just because the 225lb one was so fast. I reviewed the 235lb set and thought my form was starting to get dodgy, so I called it quits. I didn't notice the comments last time I did this routine about starting heavier - damn!



======

Bear complex:
1 hang power clean, 1 front squat, 1 push jerk, 1 back squat, 1 rack jerk
75, 85, 95, 100, 105

I usually start with power cleans, but my back was starting to feel a little tight (60 deadlifts will do that) so I went with hang power cleans instead. I don't know if that made any difference in conserving energy, but I think this is the first time I've done a bear complex and not failed on a single rep of any movement.

Short workout today, but I'm very pleased with the quick deadlifts.

2 comments:

Paul French said...

ah I remember when you did that, nice improved times, i think the grip helps as I recall last time you used a double overhand grip and this time it appears you use a mixed grip, lets you focus on your hamstrings and back a bit more.

Although its a different complex starting from the hang, its the overhead parts you struggled with so Id say thats an improvement too.

Common Sense Design said...

Yeah, I've only been using the mixed grip for 2 months and the last time I did this was back in September 2011, which would have been the double overhand grip.

Shame I didn't video the complex so I could check my form, but I'm pretty sure I kept the bar locked out overhead for at least one second during the push jerks and rack jerks.

Post a Comment