Monday 16 January 2012

Conditioning

Jenny LaBaw. Something is surely wrong if I look at a fit female body and think, "Nice lats."

Amrap 10:
Power squat clean and jerk @ 95 Power clean, front squat and push jerk @ 95(jeez!)
Score = 26

I did an amrap 10 hang squat clean and jerk with 85lb in April 2011 for a total of 24 reps. This is only a 2 rep improvement, but with 10lb extra and from the ground. I didn't video myself today - there wasn't anywhere I could set up my camera - but I'm pretty sure my form for the jerks was pretty good. As this was an amrap, I didn't keep the bar overhead for long, but my arms locked out and the bar was straight above my shoulders, not in front. Of course, I have no way of knowing what my form was like last year, but I'm guessing it wasn't as good as today.

======

Half Angie:
50 x squats (hamstring to calf)
50 x push-ups
50 x pull-ups
50 x sit-ups
Time = 14:29

That's 3:01 better than a year ago. I would have been even quicker if I was using the pull-up bar in the squat rack, but that was already being used. I used the other pull-ups station, which meant limited kipping because the whole set-up wobbles from side to side and I was afraid of the whole thing toppling over. My pull-ups weren't strict, but certainly slower than they would have been in the squat rack.

9 comments:

Paul French said...

"Power Squat Clean"
?????? Seriously.....have you forgotten the speal about how those don't exist....we've had that speal twice now lol!

Common Sense Design said...

Oh, all right - squat clean! Or, to be more accurate, power clean followed immediately by a front squat. I do this, then as soon as the bar hits my chest I go into a front squat.

Paul French said...

So you do a power clean and front squat then, which you also did here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4sgKCUcdEY&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

At the 45 second mark you did that, which is fine, but more 2 different movements than one.

Common Sense Design said...

Yeah, that's what I did (only a bit more elegant today because it was much lighter). So, 1 power clean, 1 front squat, 1 push jerk. You're bloody hard work, you know that? :-) I should have just videoed and aid "I did this!"

Paul French said...

hah you always say you want to learn to do it the right way, that means I'm a picky pain in the ass.

Common Sense Design said...

Do you have any videos of squat cleans, starting from the ground?

Common Sense Design said...

Never mind - found one.

Paul French said...

If you reset at the top, it no longer becomes a squat clean, for it to be a squat clean you must drop right into the squat out of the clean, otherwise it's 2 different movements.

Common Sense Design said...

Yeah, I should practice the mechanics of this more often with lighter weight. I can do it with hang clean, but my coordination goes haywire when I try it with power cleans from the ground. Sometimes I start to squat too soon, before the bar hits my chest, which means I'm never completely upright.

Post a Comment