Thursday 26 January 2012

Full body

At what point does one decide enough is enough?
Like Monday, today's workout followed a poor night's sleep. I revisited a metcon I did with Paul a few weeks ago. Back in December I got really bad cramp in my calf and hamstring late into the routine, so Paul paused the stopwatch to allow me time to recover. Of course, this meant that I was able to catch my breath, too. My time in December - not including the recovery break - was 44:23. Which makes today's time even more surprising.

For time:
1 Clean and Jerk - 110
1 Round of Cindy
2 Clean and Jerks
1 Round of Cindy
3 Clean and Jerks
1 Round of Cindy
4 Clean and Jerks
1 Round of Cindy
5 Clean and Jerks
1 Round of Cindy
6 Clean and Jerks
1 Round of Cindy
7 Clean and Jerks
1 Round of Cindy
8 Clean and Jerks
1 Round of Cindy
9 Clean and Jerks
1 Round of Cindy
10 Clean and Jerks
1 Round of Cindy
(Cindy= 5 Kipping Pull-ups, 10 Push-ups, 15 Air Squats)

Time: 33:54

I knocked 10:29 off my previous time! When I finished the last air squat I sat down on the bench I used to step up to the pull-up bar and stared at my watch because I couldn't believe the time.

When I did this with Paul, he checked the quality of my jerks, but there was no way to do that today other than to trust my own judgement. Nevertheless, I do think that my form was pretty good. In fact, following the third rep of the 8 clean and jerks, I dropped the bar onto the top of  my head (ouch). That could only happen if my arms were holding the bar straight overhead and not in front of me! I got plenty of power from my hips. My feet actually left the ground for both the clean and the jerk movements.

All of the sets of kipping pull-ups were unbroken because I was able to maintain a good, efficient swinging rhythm. The only time I failed a rep in any of the moves was on 1 push-up. I was fatigued - I think it was in the 7th or 8th round - and I couldn't keep my body straight, so on the 5th rep my stomach touched the ground before my chest. I didn't count that rep, rested a few seconds, then continued.

Regardless of the possibility of poor c & j form - although I'd like to think they were acceptable - I'm extremely pleased with that time. And no cramp!

2 comments:

Paul French said...

very nice work, I wasn't at the gym this morning but I'm sure the form was fine. The pullups being unbroken is a nice change, that wasn't the case for me even. Also no cramping, even before I paused the watch you had cramps that started and took longer than usual breaks because of it and I kept the watch going then, so nice work overall!

Common Sense Design said...

The pullups surprised me, too! I kept my feet together and maintained a consistent rhythm. That helped me to get decent momentum and with every rep my chin was comfortably over the bar. I think the key today was taking the necessary amount of rest when I needed it. I thought that was going to force up my time, but it did the opposite.

I'm pretty sure I locked out overhead correctly, but my lower back feels a bit sore this afternoon. Perhaps my posture wasn't right, like the middle picture here.

Post a Comment