Tuesday 10 January 2012

Upper body and core

 
The Return of the King!

This is the first day in a while where I haven't done any kind of Olympic lifting. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I go to the gym each morning with a list of different routines from which I pick 2 or 3, depending on how I feel that day. I did that today, but ignored the list and basically just made up a workout on the fly.

The first routine was Sunday's CrossFit main site WOD, death by pull-ups. I'm pretty good with pull-ups, but this felt tougher than I expected.

Death by Pull-ups
With a continuously running clock do one pull-up the first minute, two pull-ups the second minute, three pull-ups the third minute...continuing as long as you are able. Use as many sets each minute as needed.

Score = 9 minutes exactly

I completed my last rep just as the 59 seconds changed to 00. As this is a CrossFit routine, I assumed the pull-ups were the kipping variety. However, when I started this I wanted it to be more of a strength workout, rather than a conditioning one, so I did strict pull-ups. By the time I got to the round of 7 reps, the only way to get through the minute was by kipping. Or, rather, swing my legs wildly so I could get my chin over the bar. Looking at the posted results, I thought I might get into double figures - i.e. at least 10 minutes - but I simply had nothing left. Even though these were pull-ups, and not chin-ups, the reps were quite challenging because of doms in my biceps. I often get this the day after a hang power clean routine (strangely, not after power cleans, though.)

Piston bench presses - 5 per side
35s, 40s, 42s, 45s, 50s, 52s, 55s (3 per side)

It's been a while since I've done these and I hadn't planned on doing them today. I couldn't remember what weight I started with last time, so I started fairly light and just kept going until I couldn't complete 5 reps per side. In the end, I actually finished with a heavier weight than in September.

Superset: Push-ups and sit-ups, max reps; 1 min rest between sets
30/32, 16/17, 12/17, 12/17, 13/15

No comments:

Post a Comment