Monday 2 January 2012

Full body: Heavyweight

Went heavy today, but the routines were pretty basic.

Complex: 1 x power clean + 2 front squats
Warm-up: 4 sets at 95
105, 110, 115, 120, 125, 130, 135, 140 (PR), 145 (F)

That's the first time I've managed to clean 140lb, so I'm pretty pleased with that. The funny thing is, 135 and 140 felt easier than 120 and 125. I think that's because I was able to get more power from my hips with the heavier weights. It's almost like I felt I didn't need to bother with power with the lighter weights. When I was prepping for 140lb I didn't think I was going to succeed, but when that bar hit my chest I had the biggest grin on my face, which stayed there while I was doing the squats (it probably looked like a pain-wracked grimace.) I got too cocky and tried for 145lb, but couldn't get the bar up high enough. Still, I'm pleased with that 140.

======

Push press with hold for as long as possible - 4 sets of 3 @ 95, resetting each time
Warm-up: 60, 70, 80

Unsurprisingly, the first rep in each set was the easiest and I was able to keep the bar overhead for several seconds. By the third rep of the last set I locked out, but the bar came straight down.

One thing I realised during this routine is that I need to strengthen my wrists. They get pretty painful bending back when I do front squats with the conventional grip, but I noticed that they were also bending during these push presses. When I became aware of this and made sure my palms were facing forward, not upward, the presses felt significantly more comfortable and I was able to hold overhead for longer.

I was going to finish with some weighted sit-ups, but my lower back started to feel a bit stiff.

The gym was very busy this morning. On a selfish level, it was a little annoying, but it was also good to see so many new faces working out.

4 comments:

Paul French said...

I wasn't going to do this, but I saw ya using the bar with the more rough knurling, if I may be mistaken but that is the bar that only weighs 40 pounds.

Common Sense Design said...

Ha! Don't worry, I did know. I always allowed for that when I was adding up the weight. For example, when I was warming up with 95lb, I had a 25lb bumper plus a 2 1/2lb weight on each side.

Paul French said...

ahhh gotcha, i was worried the pr wasn't an actual pr, in that case nice work!

Common Sense Design said...

Thanks. It was the bar that doesn't have the rounded ends, that's why I noticed.

Post a Comment