Monday 30 January 2012

Full body

Today's lunch: two homemade beefburgers with fried eggs, sweet potato mash, and zucchini with green onion.
I was going to have a total leg day, but this morning I saw this clean and jerk routine for today's main site WOD and decided to give it a try.

Clean and Jerk 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 reps
95, 100, 105, 110 (F the jerk), 110, 115 (F - couldn't hold overhead), 115

Nothing spectacular here, as I only just equaled my 1RM. However, it wasn't until I returned home and read the guidelines for the routine that I realise I didn't do it exactly as advised. (I was in a rush this morning when I planned today's workout.) Comment #3 explains how it should be done and is actually a bit less strict than I was aiming for. The site advises: "Rest 3-5:00 between sets, enough to recharge but not enough to get cool", but I  rested for no more than 2 minutes each time. Also, "If you happen to press out a lift just a bit at the top but you lock out your elbows and stand up…good lift today." By that standard, I think my first attempt at 115lb might be counted as successful, not an F. Oh, well; no biggie.

I didn't video this routine, but here's the official demo. I didn't do a squat clean like this guy; a power clean is acceptable. Interesting bouncing movement before the jerk in order to get a feel for the weight before pushing overhead. 

======

Back squats:
145 x 8
185 x 3
195 x 3
200 x 3
205 x 3
210 x 2
210 x 1

I think this video shows that my weight is too far forward, which is affecting my balance. My shoulders and chest should be up more and my knees shouldn't be so far in front of my toes. 

Don't know what I was thinking in that first set at 210lb! As Cher often says, "Either shit or get off the pot!" (Charming.)

3 comments:

Paul French said...

2 quick things, one don't worry about that comment about how long to rest. That is posted by some random guy, how you perform the workout is entirely up to you, his way is one way, your way is another. I also disagree with his lockout comment big time, I've heard serveral olympic coaches state that for heavy lifts you must make clean lockout and hold, some say for up to 5 seconds.

Second, I saw that video last night, he's not bouncing the weight to get a feel for it, he's re-adjusting his grip out of the clean to be prepared for the jerk, just about everyone does that.

You can see me doing the same thing here a little differently, the gentlemen in the video stands up out of the squat clean then adjust grip, I adjust my grip the exact same way right as I stand up...the bar 'bounces' a little bit on both on our lifts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAVChNOEE5E&list=UUY76daDPRwJx9guouwnll4A&index=7&feature=plcp

Of course here is the professional saying the same thing, telling the athlete to make it more obvious (like in the crossfit video), 'go to 30 seconds in'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCUmi2oqlvA

Common Sense Design said...

I've seen this Bingo guy posting long explanations before and assumed it was "official". In which case, he looks a bit of a dick!

Should I be doing the jerk starting with my arms in a kind of front squat grip (with my elbows out)? I always adjust my grip so my elbows are right down and my palms facing completely forward, as this means from my hands to my elbows are at 90 degrees to the bar. My wrists don't feel strong enough to hold the bar that way, especially when I get over 100lb, which is heavy for me. You can see my grip on an earlier video at 10 seconds in.

Paul French said...

If im being completely technical, you've never done a push jerk before, always push presses....jerks are just insanely technical and have a very high learning curve. You have done split jerks, but they were very raw.

I think your wrist flexibility prevents you from catching a clean or doing the overheard portion from a front rack position, as in that video you just linked too your elbows are always pointed down and you never catch the weight on the shoulders with your elbows forwards, like I do or the other videos posted above. You still keep that full grip on the bar, remember when we talked about letting it roll to your fingers and resting it on your shoulders out of the clean? You still aren't able to do that, it'll take time for the wrists to be used to it, but for now I'd keep the same grip for the overheard portion.

Post a Comment