Monday 25 July 2011

Full body: Heavy weight

This is slightly adapted from one of Paul's routines.

Dumbbell bench press 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3
50s, 52s, 55s, 60s, 60s, 65s (F)

I could barely lift the 65s off my chest. I dropped them to the ground and picked up the 60s again - which I'd kept close by in case of failure - but I could barely move those, either.

======

Back squats 10, 10, 10, 10, 10 - 4 risers
135, 155, 160, 165 (8), 165 (7)

======

Cable row 8, 8, 8, 8
110, 120, 120, 130, 140 (6)

Yes, I know that's 5 sets, not 4! I accidentally did 2 rounds at 120lb, so I did an extra set at 140 at the end.

======

Squat clean into thruster 3, 3, 3, 3
75, 80, 85, 95 (1), 95 (2.5)

Again, kind of an extra set at the end. During the second rep of the fourth set I lost my balance at the bottom of the front squat and dropped the barbell to the ground (with a very loud clatter). I rested a minute then tried again. In the third rep of the last set, I just managed to get the bar above my head, but didn't lock out my right arm, so I only counted this as a half rep.

As hard as I tried, I couldn't get the bar to land/rest on my shoulders, so my elbows weren't up as high as they should be. I was fine in my warm-up set with an empty bar, but as soon as I added weight the bar rested just below my shoulders.

======

75 x push-ups
These took 3:21, breaking down as follows: 30, 10, 10, 10, 8, 4, 3.

6 comments:

Paul French said...

heh did you change the back squat version bc we did box back squats on the weekend?

Good workout, I don't know if I told you or not but whenever you go heavy with any overhead exercise aside from military press you must do the 2 to 3 second hold at the top like we did on Saturday, so the second last exercise is another example of one where the hold is required.

Common Sense Design said...

Re: back squats - exactly! Also, I hadn't done standard heavy back squats to parallel for a while.

Bugger. I didn't know about holding the bar overhead, so thrusters were all pretty quick movements. However, my shoulders are already starting to feel sore, so even though I didn't do that routine properly, it still felt challenging.

Tomorrow will be a light weight day, so I'm thinking of doing some variations of the Masters' routines for this year's games: http://games.crossfit.com/features/masters-events-announced

Paul French said...

That sounds like a good idea, are you going to try the overhead squat pushup one? In the past I have subbed front squats for overhead squats, so that may be a decent alternative.

Common Sense Design said...

I was going to try overhead squats with an empty bar, but the front squats might be a good idea so I can try to use a proper grip. It should be easier to get the bar in the right position from the rack rather than a clean. Do you think I should go with the RXed 95lb for my age group, or drop to a lower weight? I'll have to leave out the shuttle run, of course.

I might try a version of event 3, subbing dips for the muscle-ups. I like the look of event 4, too!

Paul French said...

For front squats 95 pounds would be a good weight, not too light but not very heavy either, which I believe is there goal for this workout.

When I have seen muscle ups in a workout I always sub pullups and dips, seems like a decent replacement but it's up to you. heh ya the last event does look pretty good, the toe to bars would be tough, you can always try wall balls again.....god I hated that exercise.

Common Sense Design said...

I was thinking of something less time-consuming for my version of Event 4:

For time:
10 Dumbbell military presses @ 40
20 Power cleans
30 Burpees
40 Sumo deadlift high-pulls @ 80

Post a Comment