Monday 18 July 2011

Full Body

Felt a bit bleh today for a number of small (silly) reasons: (1) It's humid as hell, which feels like it's draining my energy. (2) Last Thursday, following my conditioning workout, I did a few minutes' stretching on the pull-up station to help get rid of some stiffness in my shoulders. I hit my right pinky as I went to grab the bar and it hurt like fuck. It's nothing more than a bruise, but it's still painful enough to be a bit distracting, even now. (3) Yesterday, I went to the beach in Bayfield. Because the weather was so hot I decided to dangle my pecs in the sun for a couple of hours. That was long enough for much of my upper body to get sunburned, especially across my shoulders and upper back. It's not too bad, but bad enough feel like someone is rubbing a cheese grater across my back when my shirt rubs against it. That becomes 100 times worse when I'm doing 50 squats with 145lb resting on my back.

Alternate sets:

Incline rack bench press 5, 5, 5, 5, 5 (safeties set at 8 holes, so the bar is just above my chest)
105, 110, 115 (3), 115 (3), 115 (3)

Cable row 5, 5, 5, 5, 5
130, 140, 150, 150, 160

======

Dumbbell snatch 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 per arm
40, 45, 47, 50, 52

======

For time:
50 box back squats @ 145
Time = 8:35

======

Hang squat cleans 3 x 6 @ 105 to parallel (didn't use risers)
6, 6, 3 (failed to lift the bar to start the clean)

I usually take the blame when I don't do as well as I expected, but the main problem today was the heat and humidity in the gym. Less than halfway through my workout my shirt was so drenched in sweat that it looked like it had changed colour.

4 comments:

Paul French said...

Long time ago I tried the same thing, back squats with burnt shoulders, I never use the pad so it hurt quite a bit for sure.

How did the box back squats feel otherwise? Never done them with me only the front style, did you use the same setup, the small bench while standing on the wooden step?

Common Sense Design said...

Personally, my lower back felt a bit sore, but not too bad. Probably won't be the same for you, of course. I used the same set up we had for front squats. Similar to doing front squats, it felt like it was challenging for my quads. The first few reps I probably got up too quickly, just like when I use risers as a guide for depth. However, after the first 3 reps I think I got the right rhythm: rest briefly in a sitting position, then stand up again. Most of the time I was getting 5 reps before I needed to rest.

The next time I do this I'll probably make it tougher with more weight. It wasn't easy, but it could have been more challenging. I used 145 because I was wanted to use something around my bodyweight. When Jason weighed me for the bench press competition, he asked me what I thought my weight was. I said 140, but when he weighed me the scale settled at 143. Jason said, "Looks like you're bulking up." At 143? :-)

Paul French said...

heh a little heavier, not bad, I believe Speal has increased his weight to 148 this year, but I could be mistaken, ya have to match him there now.

Common Sense Design said...

I could have kept going and adding weight to some of my routines on Monday - such as the db snatches - but I was feeling too groggy from the heat.

I usually weight myself without gym gear, so that extra 3lb were probably my trainers. That being said, I think I do need to be eating more. I'm not losing weight, but I'm starting to eat more protein and less starch (e.g. half a Swiss Chalet chicken with just veggies as a side.)

Post a Comment