Wednesday 13 July 2011

Full body

Front squats 5 x max reps @ 115 (to parallel; no risers used)
12, 9, 8, 8, 7

======

For time: 40 x two-arm dumbbell ground-to-overhead @ 40lb dumbbells
Time = 7:29

This is part of one of the CrossFit Regional routines. I did a bit of a Goldilocks with the weights:I tried 30lb (women's weight) but they were too light, then 45lb (men's weight) which felt really tough. I settled for 40lb and I think I made the right choice. I started with 5 consecutive reps, then several sets of 4. The last 10 reps were 3, 4, 3.

======

10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 reps for time
Sumo deadlifts @ 165
Box jumps @ 24 inches

Time = 14:38

A scaled version of one of Paul's routines. The last 5 rounds were quite painful on my lower back, the same pain that I had during my squats on Saturday.

======

Supersets - 4 x max reps; 1 minute rest between sets:
C2B chin-ups
Crossfit push-ups
9/10, 6/8, 6/7, 4/9

======

The last 3 days' workouts have taken their toll and I felt totally drained at the end of this. When I finished, I went to the locker room, opened my locker to take out my bag and saw my bike helmet. Then I remembered, "Fuck - I cycled here!"

5 comments:

Paul French said...

Nice workout, the deadlift box jump workout I thought was decieving when I did it myself. That drained feeling I've have many times, usually requires a rest day as your CNS is probably fried, well ya have another day with me, but make friday a rest day, or stretching as I do not count that as a workout.

I was watching the all over the map videos, they interview a few crossfit athletes from each region, one named Jonathan Pera, one of the more jacked crossfitters, said he worked out up to 3 hours a day almost everyday a week. Then one named Blair Morrison says he'd do 3 separate workouts in one, morning/afternoon/evening, but only do that 3 days a week, so 4 rest days. Each athlete needs to find what works for them.

Common Sense Design said...

The deadlift/box jumps had plenty of long rest breaks. I wasted a lot of time staring at the box before the first jump in each round because I felt like I didn't have enough energy to make it without clipping the step - and that's at only 24". I did sumo deadlifts, but did you do high pulls for your version?

I saw that video, too. Isn't Blair Morrison the guy flipping that friggin' huge tire (about a quarter way into the video)? What the hell kind of vehicle did that come off? Jenny Labaw looks pretty jacked, too! :-)

On the days I cycle to McD's as well as the gym - probably 3 days a week when I do both - that's a total of about 30 minutes of extra leg work each day. It all adds up. I feel exhausted, but not totally drained, so I don't regard that as a bad thing. Conditioning's going to be fun! You mentioned it will feature something I'm familiar with; I know we can't do wall balls, so I know it isn't FGB! (Thank God. Still having nightmares.)

Paul French said...

Did you just ask if I did High pulls in my version, with 225 pounds are you nuts? lol no it states sumo deadlifts and that's what I did.

No its not wall balls, but that is something we can do at the gym, the green med ball weighs 20 pounds (what they do in wall balls) so it's a possibility, but I hate that exercise. The tire in that video makes the one we use in Jason's class look like a bike tire (not the one at the gym).

Common Sense Design said...

Hey, just because I can't do heavy high pulls doesn't mean you can't! Besides, some of the crazy shit you make me do...

Paul French said...

heh if I did do that it would have said "sumo deadlift high pulls" but Im not a huge fan of that exercise, I prefer cleans.

Post a Comment