Wednesday 27 July 2011

Full body: Heavy/moderate weight

Quite frankly, I don't care who the
strongest man and woman are, but
I'm looking forward to the new
swimming component at this year's
CrossFit Games.
Deadlift 3, 3, 3, 3, 3
185, 205, 215, 225, 235 (2)

The last few times I've done heavy deadlifts, I was aiming for a 1 rep max. This time, I went back to my previous 3 rep routine to see how I'd fare. The last time I did something similar - full rom deadlifts - was back in May, when I got up to 220lb.

======

Alternate sets:

Bench press - 4 x max reps @ 125
(small bench, 6 holes - 1 hole lower than usual)
8, 8, 8, 6

Weighted pull-ups - 4 x max reps @ 35
5, 5, 4, 4

======

3 rft:
10 Dumbbell rows @ 80 (per arm)
10 True push-ups
10 Traveling lunges @ 60 (per leg)

Time =16:03

The lunges killed me; they cost me a lot of time because I had to take fairly long breaks, albeit only 1 or 2 per set. With the db rows, I switched arms each time I got fatigued; for example, the first set was 6 reps left arm, 6 with the right, then 4 left and 4 right.

I was already exhausted before I trained today, and the bike ride between home and the gym was probably the slowest ever. Not sure what I'll do tomorrow, so I'll have to see how I feel when I wake up. Right now my arms are toast.

Something I've noticed over the past couple of days is that I can't seem to stop eating - I'm always hungry! Recently, I've been trying to cut back on starchy, processed carbs throughout the day, perhaps just as part of one meal. I've done this in the past, but not replaced the calories from those carbs with anything else, and thus lost weight (and energy). This time I'm making sure I have enough calories to fuel me all day. I'm still eating carbs - plenty of fruit and veggies - plus a lot more lean protein. My post-workout snack on Monday and Tuesday - at 10:00am - was a big bowl of plain 0% fat yogurt with two cups of mixed berries and a teaspoon of honey. By 11:00am, I felt more than ready for lunch. Today I had a peanut butter and banana sandwich on two slices of wholewheat. Let's see if that makes a difference.

My favourite meal at the moment is at Swiss Chalet - half a chicken with a side of mixed vegetables. So far, I haven't noticed any drop in my ability to train, especially this week, the first one following the new training program.

4 comments:

Paul French said...

I wasn't watching, what did you do for the french press, everyone has a different way of doing that exercise, mine looks like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWFEpSW1k40

Also, decline situps are done on the decline bench, the situps you did are called roman chair situps (the name of that little apparatus).

Common Sense Design said...

This is the video I used for reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TM3DNr0QjU. However, looking at it again, I think I didn't do it quite right. When the bar came down it wasn't in line with my forehead, but further back past my head.

Paul French said...

heh i commented on the wrong post, and ya i simply call that a barbell skullcrusher, but everyone will always have there own names for each exercise.

Common Sense Design said...

Re: wrong post - I guess the photo threw off your concentration.

This what I think of for a French press: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcXzHQq8V7U. I thought perhaps it was a more elaborate rest break. No such luck.

Post a Comment