Monday 31 December 2012

Conditioning

My hamstrings are pretty much back to normal, but my glutes are still sore as hell. I didn't want to resort to just an upper body workout again, so I decided to do some conditioning that would work my whole body. I started by doing about 10-15 minutes of warming up - especially my legs, obviously - and then did a version of The 540, which is named after the CrossFit box that devised it. The reps are as RXed, but I couldn't find a reference to what weight I should be using. I think it's up to the individual how much to put on the bar, so I guess-timated how much would be a challenge for me. I think I got it about right.

The 540
50 overhead lunges (total reps; 25lb bumper plate)
40 pull-ups
30 thrusters @ 85lb
20 burpees
10 cleans @ 115lb
Time = 18:06

I narrowly missed Rich Froning's world record time. By about 12 and a half minutes. Frig, this took my breath away, especially the thrusters. I think they took the longest time out of everything, just because of the time I spent resting. The burpees were in slow motion, but I only needed one break right in the middle.

For time:
50 sit-ups (strict)
50 push-ups
Time = 4:35

Short workout today, but still felt challenging.

2 comments:

Paul French said...

From the video is looks like 95 lb thrusters and 135 for the cleans, with the overhead lunges more clearly reading a 45 pound plate. Did you do squat cleans at the end or power cleans?

Common Sense Design said...

I've never done overhead lunges with a plate before, but 25lb felt pretty light. I think I could have coped with 45lb, although I'm sure it would have slowed me down. The 50 lunges were unbroken.

The thrusters might have been a bit lighter than the video, but - in terms of the challenge - I think 85lb was right for me.

I went with power cleans. I did dip a bit when I caught the bar, but I wouldn't define them as squats. Perhaps I could have added 5 or 10 pounds to these, though.

Post a Comment