Thursday 19 July 2012

Conditioning

3-2-1...
After watching some of the CrossFit Games at the weekend, I wanted to revisit one of the girl WODs, Fran: 21-15-9 reps of 95lb thrusters and kipping pull-ups. As the thrusters start from a clean, I started to warm up with some light reps - only 65lb - and that caused me some wrist discomfort, even though I wasn't trying to get my elbows up. It wasn't too painful, but bad enough to know that the full weight reps could cause some damage. I started with one of the other girls, instead.

Isabel
30 power snatches @ 65lb
Time = 2:56

I could have gone heavier with these - probably no more than 85lb - but I wanted this routine to be a sprint. Sub-3 minutes is what I was aiming for. I think I did okay with getting power from my hips and not bending my arms too soon, but from reviewing the video it looks like my legs didn't go straight for every rep.


======

Supersets, relative max reps
Flies @ 25s: 12, 10, 9, 9, 8
Dips: 7, 5, 4, 3, 3

I was surprised at how quickly the number of dips dropped.

======

100 burpees
Time = 9:52

Well, I just had to give this a go! When I usually do burpees as part of a metcon, I try to go as fast as I can from the start. Of course, I normally run out of breath pretty quickly. Today, I wanted to try and maintain a steady pace for a long as possible, so I didn't go H.A.M. straight out of the gate. I think this definitely worked. As expected, I felt tired about a quarter of the way through, but not as bad as usual. Around rep #23, I thought, "This was a fucking mistake!" However, at that point Paul was training a client nearby and I thought he'd probably figured out what I was doing, so there was no way I was going to quit! During my first rest break - I can't recall where that was; somewhere in the mid-20s - I set myself a rule: No more breaks unless I've completed a rep that ends in "0"; i.e. 30, 40, 50, etc. I managed to keep to that for the rest of the routine.

======

Push-ups/squat thrusts on Swiss ball, max reps
7, 5, 5

No comments:

Post a Comment