Monday 18 June 2012

Linda

Becca Voigt
Linda
For time - 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 reps of the triplet:
Deadlift: 1 1/2 bodyweight (210lb)
Bench press: bodyweight (scaled to 3/4 - 105lb)
Squat clean: 3/4 bodyweight (105lb)

Time = 35:47

I trained early today, partly because I have a busy day ahead, but also because I wanted to do a workout that required three set ups. I figured the earlier I get there, the more chance there'll be I can have as much space as necessary. I planned on using three bars, one for each movement. Even though I'd scaled the bench press to 3/4 of my bodyweight - the same weight used for the cleans - I was going to do the presses in the pull-up rack and use the safeties at six holes, as usual. However, that rack was already being used, so I put the small bench in the corner squat rack. The safeties are a bit higher, which means the bar didn't come down as low as I wanted (about an inch higher, I think), but this set-up did mean I could use the same 105lb bar for both the bench presses and the squat cleans. When I finished the presses in each round, I put the weight on the ground, ready for the cleans.

As expected with this set-up, the bench presses were the easiest (quickest) overall, but the first set of deadlifts were the only unbroken round. I followed Chris Spealler's advice and took my time with the early, longer rounds (10 through 7), then tried to speed up after that. I certainly think that helped. Checking on YouTube, I was really surprised to find I beat Miranda Oldroyd by nearly 19 minutes and Rebecca Voigt by over 11! Sure, my benches were much easier, but Miranda? 19 minutes?! Spealler finished in 11:34, but we do not talk of this (other than to say this was back in 2010 when he was the same weight I am now).

Miranda Oldroyd

No comments:

Post a Comment