Monday 4 June 2012

Full body

Power snatches (resetting)
65 x 3
70 x 3
75 x 3
80 x 3
85 x 3
90 x 3

I've hit 100lb for a single rep before, but with poor form; my back was curving backwards and I barely kept the bar overhead. Today I simply kept going for as many three-rep sets as possible while maintaining decent form. I think I managed to accomplish that, but I could feel it was getting close towards the end. Not a heavy lift by any means, but much improved form.


======

This is a WOD from last week, as RXed.

21-15-9
95lb front squats
Burpees
Pull-ups

Time = 14:07

This went quicker than I expected. I was pretty sure the front squats would be slow because I'd need to take lots of breaks due to my wrists hurting. However, even though there were plenty of reps, the weight was light enough not to cause me any problems at all. The first set of 21 squats went 10-6-5. It was the pull-ups that proved to be the toughest and I had to break them down into small sets, right from the beginning. Understandable, considering I was breathing so hard from the burpees. I'm not too displeased with my time, although I noticed some 31-year-old guy did it in 5:33! 

The best thing about this workout is that I felt mentally strong, and I forced myself into jumping back into the next rep even though I wanted to rest a bit more.

3 comments:

Paul French said...

Much better on the snatches, to nitpic there is still some very noticable early arm pull, meaning you are relying on arms over hip explosion. But you were more stable when the bar got overhead and I didn't notice many pressouts.

Common Sense Design said...

Now that I'm looking closer at the video, I can see the arm pull, too. Shame I wasn't aware of this while I was doing the routine! :-)

Paul French said...

No huge deal, you do it on cleans also which you have been doing for much longer than snatches, when doing it so much one way you become stronger in that style and go to it by default. However, being patient with the lift and letting the hips get to a fuller extension places you in a position for a greater explosion and therefore more power, more power equals more weight, and we all know that's always nice.

Post a Comment