Wednesday 2 May 2012

Upper Body

The first part of today's workout is based on the main site WOD from last Tuesday.

Bench press 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 (small bench, 6 holes):
95 x 5 (warm up)
115 x 3
125 x 3
135 x 3
140 x 1
140 x 0

A bit disappointing; my bench press doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

======

21-15-9 reps for time:
Clean and jerks push presses @ 85lb
Kipping pull-ups
Time = 17:11

I kind of made this up on the spot. I knew I wanted to do some c&js today as part of a conditioning routine, but wasn't sure how I'd actually do them until I started to set things up. 85lb is light for me, but I wanted to go for speed and make every rep perfect. That turned out to be the case, even when I started to get tired. Every rep locked out overhead, and none of them were out in front of me, as is sometimes the case with Grace. I was always able to do at least three consecutive reps of the c&js; in fact, the pull-ups felt tougher than the weighted portion. Again, the intention was to get my heart pumping and my body sweating; mission accomplished. I had nothing to compare this to, but I was aiming for a sub-15 minute routine.

5 comments:

Paul French said...

Nice routine there, may try a variation of that myself. But I do have a question, I glanced over a couple times during the routine and notice something there and what you have written here. Without looking it up, can you tell me the difference between a push jerk and a push press?

Common Sense Design said...

Other than occasionally allowing one foot to go behind me when I get the bar overhead, then bringing both feet together, no! I just assumed what I was doing was a what we do together and that counted as a jerk. I think the last time we did c&js in a PT session, I used dumbbells. I didn't realise there was a technical difference between jerks and push presses; I assumed they were different names for similar or the same move.

Paul French said...

heh not a problem, and partially my fault as I never said anything earlier. I'll start with push jerks as they are far more technical. Watch me here;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWi7T1PjHS4&feature=plcp

After the clean, when I drive the bar up you see me drop back below it, or dip my knees slightly so I catch the bar with straight arms and then stand up fully before dropping the bar. You can also see me do that here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJu1hwjYBu8&feature=plcp

Or if you want to see a professional describe it, watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwiOOPD-fHY

As you can see more clearly in the Burgener video, she throws the bar overhead and drops below it, usually just a partial squat.

When the bar is driven right up overheard (with momentum from the legs), arms are then locked out and there is no re-bend in the knees, it's a push press. Push Jerks are highly technical and you haven't really done them before, you always do push presses as that is what you are stronger at. Nothing wrong with that either, I only point it out as to be technical with the names of exercises, in the long run it doesn't really matter.

In olympic competitions, you'll see a split jerk 95% of the time, it is my stronger way of getting weight overheard. But on occasion you do see competitive people use the push jerk, like this gentleman below, he makes the re-bend in his knees obvious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azuqqWuStuU

Then you have this dude who does a push jerk but actually drops into a deep squat, I don't think I've seen another guy do it this way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP-eRlIvfF8

Common Sense Design said...

To be honest, it all happens so quickly when I do it, I'm not sure what my technique is! I should film myself and then watch it slowed down so I can see exactly what I'm doing. I can see the difference in jerks and pushes from these videos, but if you hadn't pointed out which one I was doing, I wouldn't know.

Paul French said...

I've seen it, I am almost 99% sure you are doing push presses all of the tume.

Post a Comment