Monday 27 February 2012

Full body

Pretty good start to the week with a short(ish) and simple workout.

Deadlifts:
135 x 10 (touch and go)
185 x 5 (t&g)
205 x 5 (t&g)
225 x 5 (reset after each rep)
245 x 5
265 x 5
275 x 3

I've been doing a lot of deadlift routines where I'm going for a 1 rep max, so for a bit of a change I wanted to go fairly heavy weight but more reps. I first did this with Paul in November 2011 and got up to 5 reps at 255lb (followed by another 4 rep set at the same weight). When I tried again in January 2012, I struggled to get 4 reps at 255lb, but I was having a bad day. Today I felt like I had a lot of energy and confidence, which accounts for the improved score.

The video shows my last set. My back is clearly starting to bow on each rep, which is probably because my hips are too high at the start of the lift. Had they been lower, I would have been lifting more with my legs.


======

My shoulder has greatly improved, but isn't back to 100% yet. Only horizontal movements seem to be causing me any pain. I felt fine doing the following alternate pushing and pulling sets, and even made some improvements on previous attempts at the same workout.

Alternate sets (last week's scores in brackets):
Military press @ 70lb: 8, 7, 6, 5, 5 (4, 5, 4, 4, 3)
Pull-ups (strict): 11, 9, 8, 7, 6 (10, 9, 7, 6, 6)

Last week I was pissed because I couldn't get anywhere near my previous scores with the same routine. Today, I was even better than the first time (can't find that blog post) and the presses had nice, smooth movements.

3 comments:

Paul French said...

Minor thing, but remember unless you are doing a metcon there's no real reason to drop the bar for deadlifts (or any lift that isn't over your head), when going heavy you should lower it back to the ground, gotta make sure we make these bumpers last as long as possible.

Glad your shoulder was okay to do some overhead work.

Common Sense Design said...

Aw, nuts. It's been a while since I did this with you, so I'd forgotten. Once I've lowered the bar to the ground, is it okay to let go and reset, or should I keep hold of the bar and lift again when I'm ready?

Paul French said...

hmm, I'd say to hold on, it's okay to loosen your grip a bit and reset, but I'd hold onto the bar (some cases you may be using straps).

Post a Comment