Monday 20 February 2012

Upper Body

Photo day #5. Shame about the crazy-ass eyes.
Today's workout is the first part of my program to get back by upper body strength! I've spent too much time concentrating on my legs and posterior chain at the expense of pushing exercises. I'm going to try to do 2 days of pushing workouts per week, some of them heavy weight/low reps and some light or moderate weight/ high reps. It was clear from today's numbers that I've lost some of my upper body strength.

Alternate sets:

Dumbbell bench press - 5, 5, 5, 5, 5:
40s, 42, 45s, 47s (4), 47s (3)

Dips - relative max: 10, 7, 5, 5, 5

======

Military press @ 70: 4, 5, 4, 4, 3

Pull-ups (strict): 10, 9, 7, 6, 6

Last time I did military presses with 70lb, my reps were 6, 7, 5, 5, 5

======

Overhead hold @ 85 x 4 sets (split jerks)

When I've done these before I used 95lb. I could feel that was going to be a struggle today, so I went lighter in the knowledge I could get the bar overhead and keep it there. In that regard, I was successful. 

Of course, I'm disappointed that I've lost some of the upper body gains I'd made. However, at least I know what the problem was - poor programming - and how to improve (thanks, Paul!)

No comments:

Post a Comment