Monday 21 November 2011

Full body: Heavy weight



Trap bar deadlifts:
170 x 10
220 x 5
260 x 3
280 x 1
290 x 1
300 x 1
310 x 1
320 x 1
325 x 1
330 (F)

That's a new PR by 5lb. However, looking at the last few lifts in my video, I'm surprised at how poor my form was. I didn't realise I was bending my back so much. Just goes to show how much I miss by only seeing myself head-on in the mirror.

Update: I've had a few comments - from Paul on Facebook and Chris via email, all of them reasonable - that my form, as shown in this video, is pretty bloody awful. I was so preoccupied with hitting a new PR that I let my form suffer, at the risk of injuring myself. I recall having a similar issue with conventional deadlifts and I ended up scaling back the weight I was lifting in order to improve my form. That's definitely what I need to do here, too, so for the next few months I won't be aiming for a new PR, or even trying to match the weight I've managed so far with trap bar deadlifts.

======

Bear complex: 1 power clean, 1 front squat, 1 push jerk, 1 back squat, 1 rack jerk
75, 85, 95 (F), 95, 100 (F), 100, 105 (F), 105

Equaled my PR from a couple of weeks ago. Here are the last couple of successful attempts (I edited out the failed first set at 105lb). My upper body form looks ok - and I definitely locked out the rack jerk at 105lb, even though it isn't that clear in the video - but my feet are all over the place. I need to work on my control.



I was going to do a lengthy abs routine to finish off, but my lower back started to feel a bit stiff so I decided to play it safe.

2 comments:

Paul French said...

hah Chris said something too? What did she say?

Common Sense Design said...

Here's what she said in 2 separate emails:

"Your back was rounding not arching and in order to get that lift I think that you need to get your butt a little lower to drive up through your legs so your back doesn't take quite so much. A certain amount of rounding depending of flexibility can be expected. Hips low is likely the key though."

Then, after I mentioned you sometimes lift without shoes:

"I haven't tried sock feet but try to wear flatter shoes not running shoes - it's more that if you have a one inch wedge of shoe under your heel it projects you forward more, which will result in an off balance stance."

Post a Comment