Wednesday 16 November 2011

Legs/Posterior chain: Heavy weight

Today was simple but heavy. I had planned on doing conditioning today, but my quads are still burning from Monday's workout, so there was no way I was going to manage quick box jumps.

Where I gripped the bar
Snatch grip deadlift:
95 x 3
110 x 3
150 x 3
180 x 3
205 x 3
210 x 3
215 x 3
220 x 3
225 x 3
230 x 3
235 x 2

As usual, for lower body workouts I aim for 80% of Paul's weights, which is currently 275lb for this routine (making 80% = 220lb). I got to 220lb and felt I had more in me, so I kept going. I finished at 235lb for 2 reps  - I just couldn't budge the bar for a third - which is equal to over 85% of Paul's PR. Very pleased with that, especially as this is the first time I've done this type of deadlift. I gripped the bar with my palms over the shiny/non-knurled part and used straps from 220lb onwards. Throughout the routine I was able to pretty much touch and go, rather than having to reset each time.

Partial back squats:
200 x 3
210 x 3
220 x 3
235 x 3
250 x 3
260 x 3
275 x 1
285 x 1
300 x 1
305 (F)

This started off as aiming to get as heavy as I could for 3 reps each time. When I got to 275lb, I could only manage 1 rep, so from that point on I kept going with single reps. 300 felt challenging but comfortable, so I went for 305. I felt in control squatting down, but when the bar hit the safeties there was no way I was getting back up.

7 comments:

Paul French said...

For the record, straps and touch and go make the deadlifts easier, he just saying :). The very wide grip being used makes it hard to hold onto.

Also what bar did you use? I can't think of one that is smooth at the ends.

Common Sense Design said...

I know it isn't in your video, but for some reason I thought you used straps or suggested I use them. Oh well, I'll do it your way next time.

The bar I used looks like a new one - it's very shiny! - and I've shown where I was gripping it in a picture above.

Paul French said...

ohh I gotcha, for some reason I thought you meant the entire part was smooth. And ya I'll probably use straps next time for this one.

Common Sense Design said...

I keep meaning to ask you - why do you remove your shoes?

I looked at some photos of wide-grip deadlifts after I'd done my workout and many of them show people with their feet quite close together, but mine were much wider than this. Are they supposed to be in a narrower stance?

Paul French said...

It's become a comfort thing, I got the idea from Eric, who got the idea from Tim. They both can deadlift over 500 pounds and they say it makes them feel more grounded, since I've tried it I've loved it.

More or less ya, it's a version of deadlift that, like the trap bar, is suppose to mimic a squat the most. I wasn't at the gym when you worked out this morning but we can try them next workout and see how it looks.

Paul French said...

btw I should add I think this is one of your better workout ideas. Sometimes you get guilty of trying to do too much, which is probably why you feel over trained sometimes. Today you picked 2 exercises and went heavy as possible, smart programming.

Common Sense Design said...

Ha! I'd actually planned more routines for today but ran out of time! :-)

Post a Comment