Friday 23 March 2012

Legs and CrossFit Open 12.5

Hell, I ride a bike - why don't my quads look like
Chris Hoy's?
My last workout for a few days as I'm heading off to England this evening. Jet-lag will probably knock me off track for a while, so I haven't decided if it's worthwhile signing up with a local gym for a week a I may only get three days use of it (£30.00 for a week!). It might be better if I go for a few runs instead, especially as the New Hamburg 5K Classic is only a couple of months away.

Front squats:
135 x 3
145 x 3
150 x 3
155 x 3
160 x 3
165 x 3
170 x 2
170 x 3
175 x 2

I used the correct grip throughout this routine, which I'm going to stick with now. 2 reps at 175lb equals my PR, which was using a crossover grip, so I'm very pleased that I seem to have got the hang of it now. Still, it frigging killed my wrists. I concentrated on keeping my had and chest up, which made it much easier to balance the bar correctly, Still, you can see my elbows dip slightly on a few reps. Overall, I'm pleased with today's front squats as my technique seems to be improving, including keeping my weight in my heels.


======

I only had enough time for a short metcon today, so why not do this week's CrossFit Open routine? I wanted to make this a quick-moving workout, so I used the women's weight for thrusters. Hell, that's what Kristan Clever used - are you going to argue with her? Also, I opted for chin-ups rather than pull-ups, which is acceptable, according to the demo. I didn't kip too much as I was using the unsecured pull-up rack.

Complete as many reps as possible in 7 minutes following the rep scheme below:
65lb thruster, 3 reps
3 chest to bar chin-ups
65lb thruster, 6 reps
6 chest to bar chin-ups
65lb thruster, 9 reps
9 chest to bar chin-ups
65lb thruster, 12 reps
12 chest to bar chin-ups...

Score = 12 thrusters and 7 chin-ups (55 reps)

Kristan Clever got 137 reps at this weight - bloody hell! Thrusters aren't a strong move for me, so I think I made the right choice for what is only a 7 minute workout. The men's RX weight is 100lb, which would have been a serious struggle for me. A fast, fun routine that took my breath away really quickly.


Here's my latest flexin' photo

No comments:

Post a Comment