Thursday 15 March 2012

Full body. And then some.

Another sleepless night, thinking about the new house. That affected my energy early on, but I soon sharpened up. However, the second part of my workout today was a killer.

Alternate sets, max reps:
Neutral pull-ups - 10, 9, 7, 7, 6
Dips - 10, 8, 7, 6, 6

This is the first time I've done dips since I injured my left shoulder doing them 3 weeks ago. I didn't rush them today, allowing me to do slow, controlled movements. Everything seems to be healed, as I didn't have any discomfort or pain. My shoulders and upper arms felt a bit tight this morning - which is usual the day after hang cleans - so the pull-ups helped to loosen me up.

======

The second part was a WOD from CrossFit Connect in Brighton, England, where my friend Chris trains. His time is shown in the photo below (Chris H). I did the workout pretty much as RXed; the thrusters are supposed to be with 40kg (roughly 88lb) but I used 95lb, so slightly heavier than required. 

9 rft:
9 x box jumps @ 24"
9 x thrusters @ 95lb
9 x burpees
Score = 7 rounds + 9 box jumps and 2 thrusters in 40 minutes

I knew the whole routine would be challenging, but no idea it was going to be this bad. I hate having to quit a workout, but I had to set a 40 minute cap because of my workload today. Unsurprisingly, the thrusters were the toughest part. I used bumper plates as I knew I'd need to drop them at some stage, which turned out to be early on! I started by doing triples and doubles, but by the fourth round I was down to singles. As the bar was on the ground, I'd have to do a squat clean whenever I picked it up, before doing a thruster. I honestly thought I was going to pass out as I was so dizzy. My lack of sleep didn't affect my energy or power, but I'm sure it contributed to my breakfast rising to my throat a couple of times. Not a good feeling.


2 comments:

Paul French said...

What weights did he use, its hard to tell if another number is written there. Looks like a tough wod for anyone.

Common Sense Design said...

Chris started with 30kg (66lb) for the first round, then 20kg (44lb) after that. It's been so long since I did barbell thrusters, which is why I wanted to do this after I saw it on Chris's Facebook feed.

Post a Comment