Thursday 8 March 2012

CrossFit Open Workouts

The World's Fittest Woman
I checked out the CrossFit Games Open workout this morning and liked the look of it, so I thought I'd give it a go today. This is the third one, and I'd been meaning to do the previous two, but kept putting it off for one reason or another. Like an idiot, I decided to do all three in one training session. Which wasn't my best-ever idea.

Workout 12.1
Amrap 7: Burpees
Score = 74

That's 54 reps fewer than Kristan Clever. Bloody hell. Still, it's only 17 behind Katie Hogan who, quite frankly, scares me. 

I thought I'd do better with burpees, but I felt pretty crappy when I woke up this morning, lacking energy. I've had two consecutive nights of crappy sleep because I've so much on my mind regarding our new house. There's nothing to worry about, just a lot of decisions to make. Anyway, that left me a bit zonked today and I felt like I was in slow motion for the first few minutes. I did my regular burpees, which weren't necessarily to the Games' standards.

Workout 12.2 (Masters: 45+)

Amrap 10: Snatches
Proceed through the sequence below completing as many reps as possible in 10 minutes of:
45 pound Snatch, 30 reps
75 pound Snatch, 30 reps

Oops - I just realised I did the 55+ routine; 45+ Masters are supposed to follow the standard workout. 

I completed my last 75lb snatch with 12 seconds to go, which was barely enough time to change up the weights to 100lb. I didn't even bother to remove the collars because my 1RM for hang power snatches is 95lb, so 100lb wasn't going to happen! For this routine - and the next - I followed the Masters Men's workout, which is ages 45+.

======

Workout 12.3 (Masters: 45+)
Complete as many rounds and reps as possible in 18 minutes of:
15 Box jumps, 20" box
95 pound Push press, 12 reps
9 Toes-to-bar

Score =  4 rounds + 7 box jumps

Again, I misread the instructions and did the 55+ workout. Muppet.

As I expected, the box jumps were pretty easy and almost totally unbroken (a couple of very quick breathing breaks) as they were only to 20", whereas I typically use at least 24". The push presses were challenging only because I wanted to ensure perfect form and not have the bar out in front of me when I started to get fatigued. I'm pretty sure I managed to push the bar completely overhead with my shoulders slightly behind my head. I wasn't able to complete any unbroken rounds of presses, so whenever I rested the weight on the ground I had to clean it when I was ready to start again. Toes to bar were tough but actually a little easier than I expected, following my last experience with them. None of those were unbroken, but I was able to string together 3 or 4 reps most of the time.

The standard (non-Masters) version of this routine specifies 24" box jumps and 115lb push presses. I could probably handle that, but the latter would have been a struggle. That being said, I think this was an excellent conditioning session.

As friggin' knackered as I felt at the end of today's workout, I actually feel better now than when I woke up.

Cher offered me some words of encouragement during the ride home. When I explained that I'd just done three weeks' worth of CrossFit Open routines in the space of an hour, she looked at me and said: "You idiot." I wouldn't argue with that assessment.

Here's the Open Leaderboard: http://games.crossfit.com/leaderboard


12.3 Demo

No comments:

Post a Comment