Thursday 22 March 2012

Full body

I googled "snatches" to find a photo for this post. I don't recommend it.
I had planned to have a session that worked my shoulders a lot, but had to change that during my second routine when I ran out of juice!

Power snatches:
45 (45), 65 (5), 75 (3), 85 (3), 90 (3), 90 (3), 95 (3), 100 (1)

The last time I did a similar snatch routine I started from a hang position and got up to one rep at 95lb. Today I began the move from the ground, which gave me a greater range of motion with which to power the bar overhead. These are probably the least elegant snatches you'll ever see, but I got the weight overhead and kept it there, which is the main thing. I'm very pleased with the single rep at 100lb. I know that seems so inadequate when I watch what CrossFit athletes are capable of, but this felt good today.


======

Following the snatches, I was feeling pretty buoyant and confident heading into the second routine. It started pretty comfortably, but plateaued just as quickly.

Bear complex:
1 power clean, 1 front squat, 1 push jerk, 1 back squat, 1 rack jerk
75, 85, 95, 100 (failed the push jerk three times)

Perhaps I simply didn't have enough power in my hips after the snatches, but I just couldn't complete get the bar overhead at 100lb, even though my PR is 105lb. After each failed jerk attempt I rested a couple of minutes, then started the whole routine again. I gave up after three tries.

======

Barbell curls:
55 x 8, 60 x 5, 65 x 4, 65 x 3

======

Dips, relative max reps:
11, 8, 7, 6, 4

4 comments:

Paul French said...

Snatches have gotten better. In a weightlifting competition they wouldn't count (they are so precise with form) but by crossfit standards they easily count, so nice work.

Common Sense Design said...

Thanks. I realise the shuffling feet and arched back are probably not competition standard! A recent CrossFit Journal video helped.

Paul French said...

No it's not that, you can move around in competition standards, you lifts are completed with pressouts. Again pressout get the weight up there so they meet the basic standards, but in weighligting unless the weight is caught with a straight arm you get a red light and the lift is considered unsuccessful.

This is a clean and jerk but same rule applies in that you need to catch it with straight arms, watch my first set at 235.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAVChNOEE5E&list=UUY76daDPRwJx9guouwnll4A&index=17&feature=plcp

The jerk was technically successful, but in a weightligting competition it would be a fail because I was forced to press it out....slightly, but still obvious.

Common Sense Design said...

Yeah, I had to resort to pressouts at the heavier weights. I think I only managed a smooth arc movement with straight arms in the first two sets of my workout(not shown in the video). I need more practice getting under the bar when I jump and land, like Coach Burgener teaches.

Post a Comment