Sunday 18 December 2011

Legs and Posterior Chain

It's been 3 days since I've done any training, so I decided to do some leg and posterior chain work as I felt this wouldn't be affected by my aching, infected finger. I started with partial squats, which didn't cause me any discomfort at all; I didn't have to grip the bar, just keep it balanced in place on my back using my palms.

Partial back squats:
185 x 5
220 x 3
235 x 3
250 x 3
260 x 3
275 x 3
285 x 3
300 x 3
305 x 2 (PR)

Ok, this is only partial squats but I was still surprised at how fresh my legs felt during this routine, perhaps due to taking a few days off. I was trying for three reps at 305lb, but couldn't stand back up for the third. The video shows my final set.



======

Deadlifts:
135 x 10
165 x 6
185 x 5
205 x 3
215 x 1
225 x 1
245 x 1
265 x 1
280 x 1
290 x 1
300 x 1 (PR)

Another PR! After the 290lb round, I set up the bar with another 5lb, then sat down for a rest break. I thought, sod it, another 5lb won't kill me, so went for a round 300lb. This was a target I was hoping I'd hit before Christmas, so I managed it with a few days to spare. I felt like I had enough strength for another 5lb, but reviewing my video shows my back was starting to bow, a sure sign to quit at that point. The video shows my lifts from 265lb onwards. It doesn't show the embarrassing toe holes in my left sock, which I'm sure other gym users must have noticed! But I deadlifted 300lb, so who gives a shit!

3 comments:

Paul French said...

Nice job on the pr's, it looked like that third squat in the video was going to be possible.

Next time you do deadlifts video them from a more front angle if you can, I want to see your starting position in terms of how close the bar is to you. It should be touching your shins before you start the pull.

Common Sense Design said...

Yeah, that last deadlift looks a bit far away from my shins, even though you can see me shuffling closer before I do the rep. The bar usually does touch my shins when I do deadlifts, as that tends to be my natural starting position (hence the constant scabs!) Certainly worth videoing though, as the whole point is to be able to check my form and technique.

Common Sense Design said...

Hips could be a bit lower at the start, too.

Post a Comment